Photos of university / #vduni
The graduate study program aims at educating experienced and knowledgeable professionals as well as highly engaged, responsible, and active citizens of contemporary (mediatized, technology and information focused, and networking) society, open to changes, professional challenges and innovations, possessing knowledge and expertise not only to adequately respond to the needs of different audience groups, but also to critically analyze the impact of professional practice in the countrys public life, and to initiate new and innovative communications services, interdisciplinary, cross-cultural, and multi-media projects.
Upon completion of the graduate program of Journalism and Media Analysis, graduates will acquire the following knowledge and skills:
* General competences to apply analytical thinking to all that journalists do from challenging the authenticity of information and news sources to understanding the societal processes and behavior patterns and motivations of people: * To analyze the functions of journalism, as a structural element of the media system, in a democratic civil society;
* To apply qualitative, quantitative and comparative research methodology and empirical data collection techniques in communication and media research.
* Subject competences related to making informed judgments about the newsworthiness of events, or finding the right experts to comment on important issues: * To work with various information sources, identify news values, do interviews, prepare reports, analyze, summarize, and raise good problem questions.
* Process competences related to knowledge about communication process and the factors influencing it: * To explore the processes within media and public space on the national and international levels and to assess them in a broader socio-cultural, economic, political and historical context;
* To evaluate transformations of media systems in the context of globalization and mediatization, analyzing the information content, audiences, technology, and organizations.
* Competences of professional skills and values related to the general societal role of journalists and the norms guiding their behavior: * To demonstrate solid knowledge of systems of media regulation, standards of journalistic ethics, and communication cultural differences; and to apply the principles of socially responsible journalism;
* To apply techniques and methods of gathering, selecting, evaluating, writing and editing news, while using different types and sources of information, given the media users and different channels.
Program graduates acquire the qualifications to work in print, radio, television and online media organizations; journalism and media research and training institutions; media monitoring organizations and market research companies. The Masters Program in Journalism and Media Analysis qualifies for further studies, including PhD programs.
Obligatory courses (9)
* Communication in Modernity
* Communication and Media Philosophy
* Communication Cultures
* Communication Research: Discourses and Methods
* Media Economics
* Political Communication and Mediatization
* Creative Online Writing
* Audiovisual Journalism
* Fundamentals in News Reporting
Elective courses (3 courses during 1.5 year)
* Propaganda Criticism
* Postcoloniality in Eastern and Central Europe
* Popular and Visual Culture
* International and Intercultural Communication
* Media Innovations
Research Projects (2)
* Research Project Nr. 1
* Research Project Nr. 2
* Master Thesis
Scholarships to Persons who Graduated from Foreign Institutions
Vytautas Magnus University offers scholarships to students who are currently enrolled or planning to enrol in Masters degree programmes taught in English at Vytautas Magnus University.
* Golden and Silver awards
* State scholarships
* Stipendium Honoris