University of Turku logo
  • Tuition Fee:
  • Local: n/a
  • Foreign: n/a
  • Languages of instruction:
  • English
  • Deadline:
  • 28 February 2016

    Photos of university / #uniturku


    CEAS offers a two-year Master's Degree Programme in Asian Studies. This programme is available to qualified students, both Finnish and international, interested in deepening their knowledge of contemporary East Asia. Our Master's programme offers systematic training in East Asian Studies regardless of your previous disciplinary background.

    As part of the programme, you will add area expertise on East Asian societies, cultures, history and politics to your disciplinary education. These subjects are designed to help you enter relevant professions, whether in the public or private sphere, in a globalized world where East Asia is rapidly gaining significance as one of its most dynamic regions.

    You will also be well equipped to pursue an academic career in Asian studies, as the programme prepares students for doctoral studies for example, in the Finnish Doctoral Program of Contemporary Asian Studies (DAS).

    Master's Degree in Social Sciences (Asian Studies) 120 cr
    Methodology and MA thesis

    Obligatory modules 1 (Methodology; 20 cr), and module 5 (MA Thesis; 40 cr) 60 cr

    Obligatory Subject Studies in Modern and Contemporary East Asia

    Courses from Modules 2, 3, and 4. Obligatory courses totalling 20 cr, which all students must take, are marked with *. 20 cr

    Optional Subject Studies in Modern and Contemporary East Asia

    14 credits of courses from Modules 2, 3, and/or 4 chosen freely 14 cr

    Language studies

    Advanced Academic Writing in English (4 cr, should be taken as early as possible) plus at least 10 credits in an East Asian language. A maximum of 20 credits of an East Asian language will count towards the degree. 4+10-20 cr

    Other studies

    Any courses in modules 2, 3, 4 and 6 or other relevant courses organized by other units. They can also include selected studies in the Minor (marked with MA). 2-12 cr

    The degree consists of study units which cover the methodology of social sciences and Asian studies, contemporary history, politics, and sociology of the major East Asian societies, as well as many topics of special interest.
    Studies must add up to a minimum of 120 credits (1 credit = 1 ECTS). All new students in the Master's Degree Programme in Asian Studies will also create a personal study plan (HOPS) during the first term. The study plan is discussed with and approved by the MPAS study coordinator.
    Please note that 90% of the teaching in the Master's Programme is contact teaching, and there is quite a lot of it. You should therefore only apply to the programme if you think you can spend at least 3 days of the week in Turku.

    University requirements

    • you have a nationally recognized first cycle degree – normally a Bachelor’s degree – from an accredited institution of higher education,
    • your degree corresponds to at least 180 ECTS (European credits) or to three years of full-time study,
    • your degree is in the same field as the Master’s degree programme that you’re applying for or closely related to it.

    Program requirements

    A student applying to enter the programme must have the following qualifications. These qualifications must be adequately documented and documents certified authentic. * A Bachelor's degree of at least 3 years in length from an institution that also provides doctoral degrees * Relevant academic background, preferably minor or equivalent in East Asian studies * Studies or skills in an East Asian language (mainly, Chinese, Japanese and Korean) * Proficiency in the English languageEnglish-language proficiency is to be verified by one of the following certificates, which must have been completed in the last two years. The certificate must still be valid on the application deadline. * TOEFL test with a score of at least 90 (Internet test) * IELTS test with an overall band score of 6.5 and no individual score below 5.5 * Cambridge ESOL test: Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) or Certificate In Advanced English (CAE), pass grade A, B, or C * National Certificate of English Language Proficiency by the Finnish National Board of Education, overall language proficiency level of 5 * Pearson PTE Academic test with a score of at least 62Exemption from these tests is granted to applicants who have a * Bachelor's degree or an equivalent degree in an English-language programme in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the United States or in an EU/EEA country * Bachelor's degree or an equivalent degree in an EU/EEA country including studies in English AND good proficiency in English in their high school diploma (ylioppilastodistus) or equivalent. * Secondary education conducted in English language in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom or United StatesEnglish Language Requirements: * IELTS band: 6.5 * CAE score: 60 (Grade C) * TOEFL iBT®test: 90 English Language Requirements IELTS band: 6.5 CAE score: (read more) Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at a high level (IETLS 6.5-8.0). It is an international English language exam set at the right level for academic and professional success. Developed by Cambridge English Language Assessment - part of the University of Cambridge - it helps you stand out from the crowd as a high achiever. 60 (Grade C) TOEFL iBT® test: 90

    There are no tuition fees for exchange students and for most of the degree students in Finland. The university itself, however, cannot offer financial assistance or student-specific job opportunities. For the most part, all students, Finnish and international, are expected to finance their living costs by themselves.

    Before enrolment you must pay the Student Union membership fee including the health care fee (in 2013-14, 92 ).

    All international students are expected to finance their own living costs. Affordable housing is available from the Student Village Foundation of Turku. Please apply for a flat as soon as you can.
    You are encouraged to apply for financial support in your home country. Foreign students must be able to demonstrate that they have means to cover their living expenses while studying in Finland. A student coming from outside the EU or EEA must have a deposit before being able to obtain a visa / residence permit.
    Also, please note that any non-EU student who submits a residence permit application must attach details of their comprehensive health insurance cover to their application. Comprehensive insurance cover means insurance which includes the types of treatment and costs that are covered by municipal health care services and the health insurance system.
    For further information on visa applications and residence permits, please contact the nearest Finnish Embassy or Consulate (see also the Finnish Immigration Service). These institutions are completely separate from the University and you should contact them directly.


    The University of Turku and all its teaching is accredited by Finland's Ministry of Education and Culture.

    Similar programs: