The College of Public and International Affairs B.A. in Criminal Justice and Human Security degree allows students interested in pursuing a career in criminal justice to develop expertise in the international dimensions of public safety. Students in the degree may choose from one of three areas of concentration:
The degree requires two years of college-level study of a foreign language or demonstrated working competency in a foreign language. In addition to Spanish and French, students have the option of choosing from Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Russian.
Interested students also have the option of earning a Masters degree in Business Administration or in Global Development and Peace by completing a fifth year of study beyond the normal years.
UB Criminal Justice track students are also encouraged to take courses in Martial Arts.
Internships with law enforcement agencies are also available.
Purpose and Objectives
The B.A. in Criminal Justice & Human Security has the following objectives:
* Note for all College of Public and International Affairs majors, a portfolio is collected to track progress in programmatic outcomes
The Criminal Justice and Human Security program requires 39 semester credit hours including 18 credit hours in the program core, 15 credit hours in one of the concentrations, and an additional 6 credit hours in a diversity requirement (one course from each of the other two concentrations). The program will require students to show modern language competency in Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Russian, French or Spanish through the intermediate level (four semesters). Students are required to complete 120 credit hours to graduate.
Program Core Courses (required)
Human Security Concentration (5 required out of these 6)
Comparative Justice Concentration (5 required out of these 6)
Criminology Concentration (5 required out of these 6)
Internships can be arranged through the Chair of Criminal Justice and Human Security or through the Office of the Dean of the College of Public and International Affairs. Please contact the office of the Dean at 203-576-4966 or through ext. 4966 if your are on campus.
1Subject to approval of the Department Chair, a student may choose an additional CJHS elective in lieu of the thesis.
The program will define the emergence and implications of human security and explore its impact on both domestic and international levels. You will become part of a cadre of security professionals who demonstrate the language skills and intercultural understanding required for effective law enforcement in todays globalized society. You will also be prepared for admission to graduate study in Criminal Justice and Homeland Security programs and for careers in domestic and international security. Career tracks:
Each university in the Unites States of America sets its own admission standards so there isn't the same criteria for all the students and the university can decide which applicants meet those standards. The fee for each application is between $35 to $100.
After the selections of the universities you want to attend, the best of all would be to contact each university for an application form and more admission information for the international students. Moreover, for a graduate or postgraduate program it's necessary to verify the admission requirements. Some programs require that you send your application directly to their department.
Admissions decisions are based on students's academic record and different test scores, such as TOEFL, the SAT or ACT (for undergraduate programs) and GRE or GMAT (for graduate programs). Admission decision is based on your academic results and motivation.
IELTS band : 6 TOEFL paper-based test score : 500 TOEFL iBT® test : 61
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test.
You can demonstrate proof of English Language competency by meeting any one of the criteria listed below:
1. A letter certifying completion of level 6 at the Universitys English Language Institute (ELI).
Attainment of a satisfactory score on the University of Bridgeports English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB).
2. A minimum TOEFL score of 500 (PBT), 173 (CBT), or 61 (IBT) for undergraduates and a minimum score of 550 (PBT), 213 (CBT), or 80 (IBT) for graduates (post-graduates).
3. A minimum IELTS (Cambridge Testing) Band score of 6.0 for Undergraduates and a minimum Band score of 6.5 for graduates (post-graduates).
4. A transcript from an accredited American university indicating a grade of C or better in one semester of college English Composition.
5. Critical Reading SAT score of 400 or above; or ACT English score of 19 or above.
6.An official letter certifying completion of ELS (English Language Service) through level 112.
7.An official letter certifying completion of CSE (The Center for English Studies) through level 7.5.
8. A Michigan English Assessment Battery (MELAB) score of 69 or above for undergraduates and score of 77 or above for graduates.
9. A Prueba de Aptitud Academica (PAA) English achievement score of 500 or above.
10. A level of Advanced on the English Language Proficiency Test of the College Board.
11. An official O level or A level Certificate indicating a grade of C or better in English.
12. An EIKEN score of Grade 2A or above for undergraduates and a score of Grade Pre-1 or above for graduates.
13. A score of 4 or better on the English A Higher Level examination in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program.
14. WAEC, WASSE, CXC, etc. Score of C or better on English Language exam.
15. A minimum Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) score of 44 for undergraduates and a minimum PTE Academic score of 53 for graduates (post-graduates).
You must demonstrate English language competency in one of the ways listed above. If you dont demonstrate English language competency in one of these ways prior to registration, you will be given the University English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB) test upon arrival. If you pass at a satisfactory level, you may begin classes.
No work experience is required.
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
Scholarships for students who are already attending the University of Reading.
The University of Amsterdam aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its international classrooms. Outstanding students from outside the European Economic Area can apply for an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship.