The digital revolution brings with it an explosion of data that carries significant potential value for businesses, science, and society.
As data becomes easily available as never before, so too does its volume grow, and extracting useful quantitative insights becomes more and more challenging.
The Barcelona GSE Master in Data Science prepares its graduates to design and build data-driven systems for decision-making in the private or public sector, offering a thorough training in predictive, descriptive, and prescriptive analytics.
The curriculum will guide students from modeling and theory to computational practice and cutting edge tools, teaching skills that are in growing global demand.
Data Science students will be armed with a solid knowledge of statistical and machine learning methods, optimization and computing, and the ability to spot, assess, and seize the opportunity of data-driven value creation.
Students will learn how to apply classroom examples using real data and answering concrete business questions from the perspectives of different industries. Through an independent master's project and the opportunity for industrial practicum work conducted with local businesses, students can have the opportunity to solve actual analytics problems hands-on.
Our courses are taught by leading academics and researchers in the fields of Economics, Operations, and Statistics, as well as experienced professionals from the analytics industry.
The program also invites guest speakers and entrepreneurs working at the frontiers of the Data Science.
The Data Science program is organized around four pillars:
- Statistics and Machine Learning
- Optimization and Operational Research
- Data Warehousing, Business Intelligence, and Big Data Analytics
- Economics, Finance, and Policy-Making
- Expertise in modern computational, high-dimensional and simulation-based Statistics and Machine Learning
- Solid evaluation of the opportunities of data-driven value creation within companies and organizations
- Ability to apply appropriate statistical methodologies and optimization techniques in solving complex problems
- Innovation with database management systems and distributed processing in a cloud computing environment
- Experience analyzing Big Data from the Internet of Things (industrial sensor data), the Internet of People (social and location data), and business transaction data
- Effective communication of data analysis results through presentation and aesthetic charting skills
- Graduates in Economics or Business with a solid economics grounding, and keen interest in quantitative methods
- Graduates in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or Statistics with the ambition to work on real-world problems and data
- Programming professionals looking to acquire analytical and quantitative tools to leverage their experience
- Aspiring PhD students looking for rigorous training in quantitative and analytical methods
- Consumer Goods, E-commerce, Entertainment, Pharmaceutical, and Telecommunications Industries
- Logistics and Transportation Industries
- Finance and Insurance Industry
- Consulting and Research Organizations
- Banking and Public Institutions
At the Barcelona GSE we look for excellence and talent. Key elements of a strong application are a high GPA, a sound statement of purpose and a standout reference letter. Strong knowledge in economics and good quantitative skills are also recommended.
The entry criteria for applicants are:
- An Undergraduate/bachelor/grado/laurea, or equivalent degree from an accredited college or university (for Bologna degrees, a minimum of 180 ECTS are required).
- A typical applicant would hold a University Diploma in Economics, Finance, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics or Business Administration. See our Student Profile for more detailed information.
- An advanced level of English language skills: TOEFL 90 and IELTS 6.5
- GRE exam is mandatory for the Data Science Program and highly recommended for those applicants to the Economics Program who want to be considered for the UPF PhD program (GPEFM).
Note that the fulfillment of the minimum entry requirements does not guarantee admission. Candidates will also be evaluated on the following admission criteria:
- Outstanding academic record
- Quantitative skills
- Reference letters
The Barcelona GSE is able to offer tuition waivers and fully-funded scholarships based on academic merit.
The financial aid that is available to students includes:
Fully funded scholarships
Waivers for 100%, 75%, 50% and 25% of tuition fees
Financial aid will only be awarded to candidates that have an outstanding academic record. All candidates will automatically be considered for any available financial aid when they submit a completed application for a master program.
While applications are open every year until June 25, preference in funding will be given to candidates who apply before January 15.
In the Class of 2016, 34% of students were awarded with scholarships or tuition waivers.
Master degree awarded
Upon successful completion of the program, students will receive a Master Degree in Data Science awarded jointly by Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) and Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF).
All Barcelona GSE master degrees have been recognized by the Catalan and Spanish Education authorities within the framework of the Bologna Process (in Spanish, “Master Universitario o Master Oficial”)