This modular programme aims to produce postgraduate students with a sound knowledge of both practical and theoretical aspects of the specialist area of Immunology, with emphasis on its clinical applications. It aims to provide the necessary skills and knowledge to undertake individual and collaborative research in this field.
This programme has been designed for students wishing to make a career in immunology. As in other areas of biology, the cutting edge of research is primarily focussed at the molecular level using the recently developed, and constantly improving, techniques in molecular biology, genomics and proteomics. Knowledge in this area is expanding rapidly leading to a better understanding of how the immune system responds to pathogens and how it can be manipulated for therapeutic purposes in procedures such as transplantation and vaccination. In this programme you will study these areas in some depth. The focus of the programme is not simply on the state of current knowledge but also the methodology used in obtaining that knowledge, making use of recent research papers to inform class discussion.
In addition to taught modules in the field you will also be trained in research processes, culminating in an individual research project which will give you the opportunity to demonstrate your individual skills and abilities.
PgCert/PgDip/MSc in School of Biosciences at UEL
* The university has run an MSc in Immunology since 1980, but the current programme is a relatively new, having been validated in 2000.
* The programme comprises a mixture of taught modules and modules requiring independent study.
* Transferable and research skills and practical training are an integral part.
* The programme is supported by a newly equipped genomics and proteomics research facility.
* Much of the taught component is available on Web-CT allowing students to study at their own pace.
* There are close links between the staff and potential employers ensuring that the programme remains current and appropriate to their requirements.
* All students take two specialist subject modules and two core modules (Bioinformatics and an Independent Study module in an appropriate area). To complete the Masters programme, students undertake a further core module (Research Processes) and an individual research project.
* The School also offers Masters programmes in Independent Study, and in Work-based Learning.
* One year full time or two years part time
* Part time students study the taught modules in year 1 and the research modules in year 2.
* Taught modules are delivered in a semesterised system, with semesters running from September to January and February to June.
* Learning is encouraged through participation in a wide variety of activities including lectures, seminars, workshops, laboratory-based practicals, web-based learning etc .
* In addition all students are expected to read extensively in their own time. Much of this reading will be directed.
* Success at university depends on developing your ability to study independently using library resources, Computer-assisted learning ( CAL ), handouts and web-based study activities.
* These skills are reinforced in modules in the first semester. These enable us to assess your independent learning needs at university, and also help to develop those transferable skills so important in working life.
* Students are assessed in practical work and theory.
* In taught modules 40% of the module mark is derived from coursework during the semester (this can take a variety of forms including laboratory work, data analysis, essays, oral presentations etc.) and the remaining 60% from unseen written theory examinations at the end of the semester.
* Independent study modules are mainly assessed by coursework usually involving some form of presentation
* The pass mark for all modules is 50%
* On completion of the programme students must normally present themselves for an oral examination.
* Project work is an essential component of a Masters degree programme and one that most students enjoy. Small projects and group work exercises feature throughout the programme.
* The individual research project is the culmination of the programme and contributes over 25% of your final mark.
* Project work encourages students to show initiative in their individual work under supervision, using appropriate analytical techniques to generate and interpret new data.
* Dissertation preparation develops literature researching, presentation and written communication skills essential in professional life.