Photos of university / #slipperyrockuniversity
Department Mission: As a community of professional educators, we commit to developing the highest quality teachers who will become exemplary citizens and add value to the world they will inhabit; and who can teach each child in our global, contemporary society.
Of central importance is our commitment to preparing caring teachers, who have the knowledge, skills and dispositions to foster developmentally appropriate, child-centered learning environments; who honor and respect diverse families and communities; and who demonstrate effective teaching grounded in educational research.
Detailed Course FactsApplication deadline Rolling basis Tuition fee Not specified Start date August 2015 Credits 72
Duration full-time 48 months Languages Take an IELTS test
Course ContentMajor Requirements - Credits: 72-73
Early Childhood Education Courses - Credits: 11-12
Courses may be taken prior to admittance to College of Education
- ELEC 100 - Early Childhood Education Theory & Practice Credits: 3
- ELEC 200 - Child Development Typical Credits: 3
- PE 243 - Educational Movement in Health & Wellness Credits: 3
- DANC 223 - Creative Dance for Children Credits: 2
- SPED 121 - High Incidence Disabilities Credits: 3
Diversity Block - Credits: 9
- ELEC 230 - Field-Based Child Development Typical Credits: 3
- ELEC 237 - ELL Strategies and Practice for Early Childhood Education Credits: 3
- ELEC 281 - Family and Community Diversity and Partnerships Credits: 3
Early Literacy Block - Credits: 6
- ELEC 238 - Literacy Practices for the Emergent Learner(PreK-grade 1) Credits: 3
- ELEC 285 - Integrating Creative Expression through the Arts Credits: 3
Block 1 - Credits: 10
Must be admitted to Teacher Candidacy and have completed both Diversity and Early Literacy blocks
- ELEC 214 - Developmental Formal & Informal Assessment Credits: 3
- ELEC 311 - Mathematics & Literacy Teaching Lab Pre K - 4 Credits: 1
- ELEC 330 - Literacy Practices for the Developing Learner, Grades 2 - 4 Credits: 3
- ELEC 340 - Mathematics Methods and Strategies for PRE K - 4 Teachers Credits: 3
Block 2 - Credits: 12
Must complete Block 1 before proceeding to Block 2
- ELEC 420 - Early Childhood Field Experience Credits: 3
- ELEC 440 - ECE Curriculum Integration: Theory into Practice Credits: 3
- ELEC 460 - Instructional Strategies for Science and Technology Credits: 3
- ELEC 470 - Social Studies & Citizenship Credits: 3
Other Required Coursework for Graduation - Credits: 24
Other requirements for certification and graduation are available in the College of Education
- SPED 325 - Interventions in the Inclusive Classroom Credits: 3
- SPED 430 - Positive Behavior Strategies Credits: 3
- ELEC 348 - Leadership, Advocacy & Program Development Credits: 3
- ELEC 480 - Assessment and Differentiating Literacy Credits: 3
- ELEC 455 - Student Teaching: Early Childhood Credits: 12
Slippery Rock University has a strong commitment to student success, and we thoroughly research the academic background of the students who tend to succeed at SRU. We use this information to establish admission guidelines for first year students (new freshmen).
We are seeking students who have attained at least a 3.0 GPA at the time of admission, have demonstrated proficiency in college preparatory coursework, and who have average to above average scores on the SAT or ACT. We will accept either test and use the best scores available. Offers of admission for new freshmen from high school may be made as soon as August following their junior year in high school. High school admitted students are required to submit proof of high school graduation in the form of Official Transcripts upon high school graduation.
In order to apply for admission, the following credentials are required:
Official High School Transcripts, including a 12th Grade class schedule if applicable
SAT or ACT Scores
$30.00 application fee
WAIT LIST: Applicants who do not meet the admission guidelines are still encouraged to apply for admission if they are close to our admission guidelines. Such applicants may be placed on a wait list for admission consideration. Students who are placed on a wait list need to understand it is not the same as being denied admission. Wait list status simply means that an applicant's credentials may require a closer review beyond just the quantitative numbers. Offers of admission will be made to wait listed applicants on regular intervals.
Wait listed applicants should strive to improve their grades and/or test scores and re-submit them to the Office of Admissions as soon as is practical after the next marking period or re-test. Periodic review of the wait list will likely begin in November and offers of admission made on a rolling basis. Our goal is to have most of the wait list offers of admission made in March or April. A final round of wait list offers may be made in mid-May on a space available basis. We encourage students to submit additional information if it improves the academic record.
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Alumni Study Travel Fund
Scholarships for students who are already attending the University of Reading.
- Amsterdam Merit Scholarships
The University of Amsterdam aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its international classrooms. Outstanding students from outside the European Economic Area can apply for an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship.
* The scholarships shown on this page are suggestions first and foremost. They could be offered by other organisations than Slippery Rock University.
Contact the Office of Financial Aid for detailed information on various financial aid programs and scholarship materials. You can submit your questions regarding financial assistance directly to the Financial Aid Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Students are encouraged to apply for admission early.