The huge energy resources in Siberia, Central Asia, the Caspian Basin, and other regions of Eurasia will shape world politics, security and international relations well into the 21st century. Eurasian energy politics is a big issue in global affairs. Cooperation and conflicts over ownership, control, transportation and consumption of energy create multiple challenges for policy makers and analysts.
The one-year MA in Energy Politics in Eurasia (ENERPO) is designed to meet these challenges. The program covers key energy projects in Eurasia as well as major contentious issues in the development of the energy sphere as seen from the Russian perspective. The curriculum combines the perspectives of political science, security studies and political economy with first-hand expertise of the energy sector. ENERPO provides skills that are highly needed in public policy making, policy analysis, business, political consultancy and public affairs.
ENERPO is the only program in Russia that gives you the opportunity to
- get an MA in Energy Politics in Eurasia in 1 year;
- select the courses by the leading Russian and international professors and experts in the field;
- design your own individual program from the broad course catalog;
- attend open lectures and special workshops;
- contribute articles to ENERPO Journal and the ENERPO Newsletter;
- study in the English language, learn/improve your Russian;
- enjoy the life in St. Petersburg - the old imperial capital of Russia;
- get an excellent foundation for your career in public service, academia and business.
You will study energy international relations in the most open, independent and cosmopolitan academic environment in Russia with the best conditions to study Eurasian energy politics and getting Russia right.
ENERPO has empowered our alumni to make a career in
- private and state companies such as S&P Global Platts, Argus Media, Glencore, Oiltanking Amsterdam B.V., Texas LNG, Elering AS, and Strabag;
- government institutions in the USA, UK, Germany, Hungary, and Estonia;
- educational institutions in Russia, USA, and EU.
Introduction to Energy Law
Maxim Titov, Olga Teplova
Introduction to Sustainable Energy
Economics for Energy Markets
Energy Security and Russian Politics
Energy Security in Asia
Russia-EU Energy Relations
Nina Poussenkova, Nikolay Kozhanov
National Oil Companies in the Global Energy Sector: Cases from Russia to the Persian Gulf
Energy Policy and Indigenous Population of the Russian Arctic
Russia's Gas Strategy
Seminar on World Oil and Gas Affairs
Workshops with guest lecturers and experts
BA degree. No prior knowledge of Russian is needed.
You may start ENERPO twice a year. The fall semester starts at the beginning of September. The spring semester starts at the beginning of February. You may choose whichever start date best suits your needs.
Admissions continue on a rolling basis. Early applications are strongly encouraged. Due to a somewhat lengthy Russian Study Visa issuing process, we ask to send the completed application form no later than
October 30, 2020, for enrollment in Spring Semester 2021
April 30, 2021, for enrollment in Fall Semester 2021
In case you miss the deadline, please write to us to discuss the possibility of late application.