Photos of university / #theuniversityofsheffield
Department of Biomedical Science, Faculty of Science
We are at the forefront of international research into stem cell biology, regenerative medicine and the molecular and cellular basis of disease.
About the course
1 year full time
This unique specialist course offers practical experience in human embryonic stem cell techniques. It will give you the professional skills employers are looking for. Through seminars, we encourage you to develop an understanding of the ethical and legal issues associated with the field.
Where your masters can take you
Over half of our MSc graduates go on to doctoral study, some here at Sheffield. Your degree will also prepare you for a career in research in academia or industry, or in a clinical-related field.
Demand for graduates with skills in stem cell and regenerative medicine is increasing rapidly. Our courses give you the edge you need to succeed in a global careers market.
* Literature Review
* Laboratory Research Project
* Critical Analysis of Current Science
* Ethics and Public Awareness of Science
Choose two lecture modules from:
* Modelling Human Disease
* Stem Cell Biology; Bionanomaterials
Choose two practical modules from:
* Human Embryonic Stem Cell Culture Techniques
* Practical Cell Biology
* Practical Developmental Genetics
* Discussions examining the ethical and legal implications of the use and practice of bioscience in society
* Half of the course is your individual research project, conducted in one of our research laboratories
* Formal examinations
* Coursework assignments
* Poster presentations