The MSc Accounting & Finance has been recently updated to provide enhanced focus on theoretical and practical accounting and finance skills.
This course aims to produce independent thinkers who are able to deal with the complexity of the accounting and finance challenges facing organisations, either domestically or internationally. This Masters in Accounting and Finance will provide you with the knowledge, skills and independent thinking abilities which are essential for a career to the most senior level roles in the financial accounting sector, within banking and financial institutions or in the field of corporate finance.
It is studied full-time over one year and offers the potential for professional accreditation from CIMA and ACCA dependent upon the combination of previous undergraduate study and postgraduate subject choices.
The course is a "specialist" masters building on a relevant undergraduate experience. It involves one year of full-time study, over three semesters with study normally commencing in the third week of September. The MSc stage is completed the following September with the submission of a Masters dissertation.
The compulsory modules provide an important core content developing a range of advanced accounting, financial and quantitative theory and practical skills for application in the general corporate financial environment. These modules are followed by a structure of elective study which allows students to tailor their studies to their future career interest in sectors such as Treasury Management, Investment Management and Financial Modelling. Final specialisation of study is achieved through the research and submission of the masters' dissertation.
* Finance Theory
* Quantitative Methods for Finance
* Management Accounting Decision Making and Control
* Financial Reporting Issues and Applications
Exit award: Postgraduate Certificate (PgCert) Accounting and Finance
* Corporate Finance
* Research Methods
Pick one from:
* Alternative Investments (pdf 31kb) *
* Portfolio and Wealth Management (pdf 46kb) *
Pick one from:
* Financial Reporting for Groups and Companies
* Management Accounting Issues and Applications
Exit award: Postgraduate Diploma (PgDip) Accounting and Finance
Award: Masters (MSc) Accounting and Finance
* Module summary information (pdf file). Links to module descriptors are not yet available.
Aberdeen Business School offers a number of merit scholarships to our outstanding students. The scholarship is available to
* international students who will study the course by full time and distance learning and pay for the fees at the international rate; or
* UK or EU students who study the course by full time and the fees are set in excess of 6,000 GBP; or
* UK or EU students who will study the course by distance learning.
Applicants (Scottish domiciled and EU) to this course may be eligible for a Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan (PTFL). Full-time students can apply for a PTFL up to £3400. Part-time students can apply for up to £1700. The tuition fee loan is only available to part-time students who are undertaking at least 50% of a full-time course, and therefore, complete their qualification in 2 years.
The MSc Accounting and Finance is accredited by The Association of International Accountants (AIA).