Photos of university / #universityofotago
The Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) degree programme enables each student to develop his or her own interests in business and related subjects. Students are able to create individualised courses using a range of papers offered across teaching departments in the School of Business and University as a whole. Students have the flexibility within the BCom degree to combine two specialisations and graduate with a double major.
Information Science refers to the study of computer-based information systems, problem-solving techniques, and the application of these to a wide range of commercial, scientific and industrial settings. Topics include the study of specific programming languages and environments, database design and implementation, information system development, human-computer interaction, distributed systems and the application of fuzzy systems, neural networks and spatial systems. Management issues relating to the development and operation of information systems are also studied.
Detailed Course FactsTuition fee
- EUR 3994 Year (National)
- EUR 17081 Year (International)
International: 26565NZ$. National:6212NZ$Start date 2016 Duration full-time 36 months Languages Take an IELTS test
Every degree programme
* Note: These papers should normally be completed before enrolling in 300-level Commerce papers.
- BSNS 102 Quantitative Analysis for Business
- BSNS 107 Understanding Accounting
- BSNS 108 Business Finance
- ACCT 102 Principles of Accounting
Grades of at least C+ are normally needed in order to proceed to 200-level ACCT and ACFI papers.
BSNS 103 Marketing and Consumption, BSNS 104 Principles of Economics 1, BSNS 105 Management and Organisations, BSNS 106 Information and Communication in Organisations, must normally be taken before enrolling in 300-level Commerce papers
- ACCT 211 Financial Accounting and Reporting
- ACCT 222 Cost and Management Accounting
- ACFI 201 Corporate Financial Decisions
- ACCT 302 Accounting Performance Management, or ACCT 307 Management Accounting
- ACCT 310 Issues in Financial Reporting, or ACCT 315 Advanced Financial Accounting
- One further 300-level ACCT paper
- One further 300-level ACCT, ACFI or FINC paper
- 90 further points; must include 54 points at 200-level or above.
- May be taken from outside Commerce
Every BCom programme must include BSNS 102-108. 100-level BSNS papers need not all be taken in the first year of study; all 100-level BSNS papers must normally be passed before enrolling in 300-level Commerce papers.
STAT 110 or STAT 115 will be accepted as an alternative to BSNS 102 as a required paper or as part of the major subject requirements or as a prerequisite when:
(a) the paper has been passed before the student has enrolled for a BCom degree; or
(b) a student is enrolling for both a BCom and another degree for which STAT 110 or STAT 115 is required.
Total 360 points
English Language Requirements
IELTS band : 6 CAE score : 58 TOEFL paper-based test score : 550 TOEFL iBT® test : 80
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test. More About IELTS
NCEA National Certificate in Educational Achievement
- 10 Level 2 credits in approved literacy (5 in reading, 5 in writing)
CIE Cambridge International Examinations
- Grade E or better in AS English
IB International Baccalaureate
- English at Higher or Standard level in Language A: literature, or Language A: language and literature; or at Higher level in Language B
NZUEBS New Zealand University Entrance Bursaries and Scholarships
- English mark of 46% or higher
IELTS International English Language Testing System
- 6.0 in academic module (with no individual band below 6.0)
TOEFL (paper based) Test of English as a Foreign Language
- 550 Test of Written English 4.5
TOEFL (internet based) Test of English as a Foreign Language
- 80 (with a Writing score of 20)
CPE Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English
- Minimum of 50
CAE Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English
- Minimum of 58
APIEL Advanced Placement International English Language Examination
- Grade 3 or higher
University of Otago Foundation Studies Ltd
- Successful completion of English for Undergraduate Academic Purposes paper
Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic
- Overall score of 58 with no communicative skills score below 50
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Alumni Study Travel Fund
Scholarships for students who are already attending the University of Reading.
- Amsterdam Merit Scholarships
The University of Amsterdam aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its international classrooms. Outstanding students from outside the European Economic Area can apply for an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship.