Photos of university / #unibirmingham
Alongside the seven foundation subjects of law you will be able to study up to two optional specialist modules. Teaching on the course is delivered through a mixture of lectures and tutorials with around 10-15 students in each tutorial group, allowing you to receive personalised attention from academic staff. You share lectures with the students on the other LLB programmes but your core tutorial groups are exclusively for students on the LLB for Graduates course.
Detailed Course FactsTuition fee
- Home/EU students - £9,000 p.a
- International students - £13,195 p.a
In your first year we assume that you have no prior knowledge of the law, so the programme starts with lectures and discussion groups on the legal system, legal sources and methods of reasoning. You then study modules in Public Law, Criminal Law, Law of Contract and Law of Torts (30 credits each).
In the second year you study compulsory modules in Legal Foundations of the European Union, Land Law and Law of Trusts and Equity. Alongside this you can either choose to study the philosophy of law in the Jurisprudence module or up to two optional subjects taken from those available to LLB students in their final year of studies.
20-credit optional modules normally available from Birmingham Law School include:
- Advanced Administrative Law
- Advanced Constitutional Law
- Canadian Constitutional Law
- Child Law
- Civil Procedure and Evidence
- Company Law
- Counter Terrorism Law
- Domestic Sale of Goods
- Environmental Law
- Human Rights and Criminal Justice
- International Human Rights
- International Sale of Goods
- Labour Law
- Law of Adult Relationships
- Law of Health and Safety at Work
- Law of the European Union
- Legal Issues in Health Care
- Political and Legal Theory
- Public International Law
- Tax Law
- Women and the Criminal Justice System
- Youth Crime and Youth Justice
There is also the option to write a dissertation on a prescribed legal topic.
2:1 in a UK honours degree or equivalent. We are also happy to consider candidates with a high 2:2 grade.
Canadian applicants will be required to achieve a 3.2/4 GPA or B+ average for entry. We are also happy to consider applicants achieving a 3.0/4 GPA or B average.
International qualifications which are equivalent to a UK honours degree will be considered. Learn more about international entry requirements.
If your first language is not English you must provide an English language qualification. Recognised qualifications include:
- IELTS: 7.0 with no less than 6.5 in any band
- TOEFL: 100 with no less than 23 in any band
If you need to improve your level of English in order to meet the minimum entry-level requirement you may be able attend one of the full-time courses run by our English for International Students Unit.
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Access Bursary
Bursary for UK students all subjects where the variable tuition fee rate is payable.
- Alumni Bursary
Alumni Bursary for UK Undergraduate students
* The scholarships shown on this page are suggestions first and foremost. They could be offered by other organisations than University of Birmingham.
See the University of Birmingham Website for more details on fees and funding.