Photos of university / #lifeatkings
An award-winning programme taught by leading scientists and academics central to the evolution of medical physics, medical engineering and clinical sciences. We offer in-depth instruction on physiological, analytical and fundamental aspects of the field. Our graduates are mostly employed in the NHS, others in leading academic institutions and industry. We also offer two related MSc programmes in Clinical Sciences.
* Award-winning students and Programme (more than 10 awards).
* The department received an inaugural EU Leonardo da Vinci Award for its Medical Physics e-Learning and the IOMP Harold Jones Medal for excellence in Medical Physics teaching.
* Delivered by more than 30 core lecturers. All of them are Full Members and Fellows of the Institute of Physics & Engineering in Medicine (IPEM) and many are leading national and international specialists.
For graduates of the physical and engineering sciences seeking a broad view of the field and wishing to specialise in medical physics/engineering. To integrate with training schemes leading to registration as a clinical scientist. To provide a sound knowledge of physical and engineering science applied to medicine.
* The results of project EVETSIN (Department of Health, London, 1998) ranked the King's MSc Medical Engineering & Physics programme as the best in the UK.
* The 2005 National Healthcare Science Award Young Healthcare Scientist of the Year was received by one of our past students. A number of students have also won the prestigious prize from the Annual Conference of the UK Institute of Physics & Engineering in Medicine (IPEM) (2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2011) and the UK Mercia award for Medical Engineering in 2010 and 2013.
* The department received an inaugural EU Leonardo da Vinci Award for our Medical Physics e-Learning (presented in Maastricht, Netherlands in 2004) and the IOMP Harold Jones Medal for excellence in Medical Physics teaching (presented at Seoul, South Korea in 2006).
* The MEP MSc programme is delivered by more than 30 core lecturers. All of them are Full Members and Fellows of IPEM and many are leading national and international specialists.
EXTRA PROGRAMME INFORMATION
The credentials of the MSc Medical Engineering and Physics (MEP) programme can be seen both from its national and international achievements / awards:
* 2001 - 1st prize for student/trainee presentation, IPEM Annual Conference (MSc MEP student Nicola Fry);
* 2004 - 1st prize for student/trainee presentation, IPEM Annual Conference (MSc MEP student Gemma Davies);
* 2004 - The inaugural EU Leonardo da Vinci Award for vocational education for our Medical Physics e-Learning materials EMERALD& EMIT (Maastricht, Netherlands);
* 2005 - UK Young Healthcare Scientist of the Year (MSc MEP student Nicola Fry);
* 2006 - 1st prize for student/trainee presentation, IPEM Annual Conference (MSc MEP student Joan Coward);
* 2006 - The IOMP Harold Jones Medal for Excellence in Teaching and International Education Leadership (Dr S Tabakov, MSc MEP Director);
* 2007 - Poster prize at IPEM Annual Conference (MSc MEP student Helen Grimes);
* 2009 - Poster Award at SPIE Conference, USA (MSc MEP student Ferihan Ertan);
* 2009 - King's Teaching Excellence Award (Dr S Tabakov, MSc MEP Director);
* 2010- UK Mercia Award for Medical Engineering (MSc MEP student Jonathan Noble).
* 2011 1st prize for student/trainee, IPEM Annual Conf. (MSc MEP student Delphine Darios)
* 2013 - UK Mercia Award for Medical Engineering (MSc student Megan Duffy)
STRUCTURE OVERVIEW Core programme content Healthcare Science & Research Methods
Introduction to Medical Physics
orIntroduction to Clinical Engineering
Radiation Physics for Imaging & Radiotherapy
or Biomechanical & Clinical Measurements
Indicative non-core content * Management of Medical Equipment (optional)
* Physics of Medical Imaging with Ionising Radiation (optional)
* Physics of Medical Imaging with Non-Ionising Radiation (optional)
* Radiation Safety (optional)
* Radiotherapy Physics (optional)
* Rehabilitation Engineering (optional).
FORMAT AND ASSESSMENT Day and block release attendance. Written examinations, assessment of coursework, project dissertation.
MODULES More information on typical programme modules.
NB it cannot be guaranteed that all modules are offered in any particular academic year. Management of Medical Equipment - Optional Medical Imaging with Ionising Radiation - Optional Medical Imaging with Non-Ionising Radiation - Optional Radiation Safety - Optional Radiotherapy Physics - Optional Rehabilitation Engineering - Optional