Photos of university
Examination is by dissertation/thesis alone. A Master’s dissertation should not exceed 50,000 words in length. A Doctoral thesis should not exceed 80,000 words in length.
- PHI4004H PHILOSOPHICAL TEXTS
- PHI4012S PHILOSOPHY OF PSYCHOLOGY
- PHI4015S CONTEMPORARY PHILOSOPHY OF THOUGHT
- PHI4021F TOPICS IN RATIONAL DECISION MAKING
- PHI4022S MORAL PHILOSOPHY PHI4023F HISTORY OF PHILOSOPHY
- PHI5006W PHILOSOPHICAL TEXTS
- PHI5008S MORAL PHILOSOPHY
- PHI5009F TOPICS IN RATIONAL DECISION MAKING
- PHI5010S CONTEMPORARY PHILOSOPHY OF THOUGHT
- Certified copies of official academic transcripts in ENGLISH (full transcripts for each tertiary institution attended)
- Certified copies of degree certificates in ENGLISH (for each tertiary institution attended where applicable)
- Applicants from universities situated in non-English speaking countries: TOEFL/IELTS certificate OR letter from previous tertiary institution stating “English as medium of instruction” for the programme
- Curriculum vitae (include work experience)
- A recent score (obtained within 3 - 5 years before application for admission) of at least 570 (paper-based test) or 230 (computer-based test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- A recent overall band score of 7.0 (with no individual element of the test scoring below 6.0) on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- OR, noting that this may only be written at certain designated venues within South Africa, a score of at least 65% on the university's Placement Test in English for Educational Purposes (PTEEP).
- Applicants must have the required academic background and submit an acceptable research proposal for which supervision is available. Research degrees are encouraged where the field of research is clearly defined, the student wishes to concentrate on a specific research topic and has demonstrated the ability to do so.
- International & refugee scholarships
- Merit awards