Wadsworth International Fellowships
The Wenner-Gren Foundation provides fellowships to students who do not have an ability to get an international-level PhD degree in anthropology in their home country. The Foundation provides an opportunity to get a PhD degree in anthropology in universities abroad. The list of countries, whose citizens are not allowed to participate in the fellowship, is presented on the website of the foundation.
The amount of fellowship is $17500 annually, it can be used to cover any expenses of students. The fellowship is awarded for one year, but can be extended for up to two years, depending on academic merit of the student.
Candidates for this fellowship should meet the following list of requirements:
- Candidates cannot be from one of the list of ineligible countries;
- Candidates should be younger than 35 years old;
- Candidates should be able to prove the unavailability of anthropological training in their home country and explain why they have chosen the Host Institution;
- Candidates should have a Host Sponsor with an academic position at the Host Institution and in the department where candidates will be registered;
- Candidates should apply for doctoral admission in Host Institution before applying for the fellowship;
- Candidates who have only studied in their home country are given priority;
- Candidates cannot apply if they already hold a doctoral degree in any discipline;
- Candidate can apply for only one Host Institution.
The full list of requirements can be found on the official website of the foundation.
How to apply
Candidates should complete an application form online. The application documents should be send via regular mail to:
Wenner-Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research
470 Park Avenue South, 8th Floor
New York City, NY 10016, USA.
All documents should be translated in English.
The list of application documents includes:
- Information about the candidates, the Home Institution, the Host Institution and Sponsors;
- Answers to questions about the proposed plan of study, research interests, and professional goals or plans of candidates;
- A detailed budget;
- Copies of transcripts from your Home Institution;
- Results of language tests;
- CV of the candidate and Host Sponsor.
Sponsors should also send letters to Foundation, including information about the candidate. The applications close on 1 March 2017. The documents should be received by the Foundation before 15 March 2017.
Please visit the official website of the foundation for further information