Logical continuation: is it possible to stay to work in France after graduation

So your studies in France are coming to an end, you have done a great job, entered your favorite university - or are you just looking for where to apply, but you already knowthat without France you cannot live a day. One thing is clear - you want to stay there. Let's figure out what steps can and should be taken to end up obtaining a work visa and a residence permit in France.

If you are studying in an undergraduate degree, then you need to know that on a student visa you can work up to 20 hours a week, plus during the holidays - full time.However, it will be difficult to find a job after graduation, and, most likely, you should be advised to continue studying for a master's degree.If you decide to take this step, then you will need to look for work even during your studies, before the student visa expires.

However, there is an “apprentissage” program that allows you to combine work and study - and work more than the prescribed 964 hours per year. In this case, the curriculum is strictly negotiated, you also write a diploma in accordance with your position. Subsequently, in case of successful completion of the studies, they may conclude a contract with you, but for this you need to withstand a double load.

You can become a Master in France either at a university or at a business school.At the same time, education at the university is free, but you will have to pay for studying at a business school. However, the chances of finding a job are much higher just after business school, as they are quoted higher. It is also worth noting that obtaining a master's degree in this country is extremely close to practice: at the end of studies, in the second year of study, it is imperative to undergo an internship at some enterprise or firm. But even during their studies, the educational process is structured in such a way that most of the time students work on team projects that are as close to real conditions as possible.

Immediatelyit is worth noting that it is very difficult to find a job in this country. There are a number of factors at work.Firstly, the French are distinguished by some nationalism, and it is unlikely that it will be easy without perfect knowledge of the language, English alone is definitely indispensable. As well as without a French diploma, it is hardly worth looking for a job, with education received in other countries, the chance of getting a job is small. Second, already picky employers may be intimidated by the paperwork and bureaucratic difficulties associated with hiring a foreign citizen (especially if he is not from the EU). Thirdly, the labor market is mostly closed and it is very difficult to find work without connections - this is noted by all former students who have devoted long months to finding work in France.Here, of course, the experience gained in the master's program comes in handy: many professors are happy to help their students in drawing up an excellent resume and can write a couple of letters of recommendation.It is also important not to delay the search for an internship and a job, since the process itself can take an extremely long time and drag on even for long six months.

Approximately four months before graduation from the Master's program, we advise you to apply for a residence permit (autorisation provisoire de séjour or APS).This is an innovation in 2011. The point is that after graduation you are given one more year (this opportunity is not renewable) to look for a job in the country, in order to then get a work visa. It is imperative that the job you find meets your diploma and the monthly salary exceeds € 2,220.40 gross and the industry minimum salary, depending on your specialization.But during your search, you are officially allowed to work (in any position) up to 964 hours per year, or a part-time 60% rate.

This opportunity is available to holders of the following degrees:

  • le diplôme de master,

  • diploma of postgraduate education (le diplôme d'études approfondies (DEA), d'études supérieures spécialisées (DESS)),

  • engineering degree (le diplôme d'ingénieur délivré par un établissement habilité),

  • le diplôme de recherche technologique,

  • state diploma of doctor of medicine, dental surgery or pharmacy (le diplôme d'État de docteur en médecine, chirurgie dentaire ou pharmacie),

  • diploma of higher education in accounting and finance (lediplôme supérieur de comptabilité et de gestion).

In addition, you need to know the following: in France there are several types of work contracts. Here is some of them.

CDI - “Contrat à Durée Indéterminée” - theoretically means an open-ended work contract, that is, it lasts until you want to quit.It defines, rather strictly, the conditions of your work activity, only flagrant non-observance of which will allow the employer to fire you. But in most cases, the contract must be “redeemed” to be dismissed.Being hired “by word of mouth,” without the stipulation that you have a CDD, also means that you are lucky without a written agreement — and you have CDI.However, the contract often includes a probationary period (“période d'essai”) for a period ranging from several weeks to several months.

CDD - “Contrat à Durée Déterminée” is a fixed-term work contract that can be renewed twice. There is no official minimum term, but the maximum is from 9 to 24 months. During this time, it must be terminated or transferred to CDI. The employee's rights and obligations are the same as in the open-ended type of contract.It is noteworthy that it must be recorded in writing, in French and signed - otherwise, according to French law, it officially becomes CDI.

CDD à objet défini is a special form of CDD in which an employee is hired for a specified period to perform work on a specific project. Usually it is a period of 18 to 36 months, the contract is not renewable.

Emploi d'Avenir - Future Employment, or type of CDI or CDD contract for young people aged 16 to 25 with a bachelor's degree or below.

Finally, if you manage to find a job, it is worth recalling that you can apply for citizenship after two years of employment.

Well, if you still do not have a French diploma, you can apply for a new “talent” program launched by the government in 2016 - “passeport talent”. According to it, workers of the following ten categories can come to France for a period of up to 4 years (with the possibility of extension):

  • gifted recent graduates and young entrepreneurs,

  • employees of companies engaged in innovation,

  • highly skilled workers (EU Blue Card holders),

  • employees with a French work contract,

  • researchers and scientists,

  • economic and financial investors,

  • creator of an innovative economic project recognized in society,

  • corporate officialspersons (representatives of large companies in the country),

  • artists and actors, workers in the field of art,

  • people recognized in the world or in their country in science, literature, art, education, sports, etc.

In other words, if you can contribute to the French economy and culture, sport - in the opinion of the French authorities - you can come to work in the country without a diploma (of course, the diploma itself, as well as the motivation letter, must be provided). People already living in France can apply for the program.

Good luck!

Useful links:

2022-01-14 07:19:04
© Anastasia Perova