The PhD in Curriculum and Instruction is for professional practitioners in education, including school teachers, who wish to continue their education while still working as educators. It is designed for practising educators with at least four years of teaching experience.
The program enables participants to develop knowledge and skills both to extend their own practice and also assist in the professional development of colleagues within their area. It expects participants to contribute to the advancement of knowledge and methods of enquiry through independent and original research, allowing them to make an effective and up-to-date contribution to quality education within the education sectors in Turkey.
Satisfactory completion of a scientific preparatory program is required before starting the PhD program.
* Instruction: Perspectives and Practice
* Curriculum: Perspectives and Practice
* Educational Statistics
* Educational Research Methods
* Dissertation Seminar
* PHD Dissertation
* Restricted Electives (4)
* Managing the Classroom
* Educational Leadership and School Development
* Supervision and Mentoring
* IB and IGCSE Curricula
* Assessing Student Learning and Progress
* Curriculum in an International Context
* Curriculum Development and Evaluation
* Trends and Issues in Instruction and Assessment
* Child and Adolescent Psychology
* Leraning Theories and Practice
* Written Academic Discourse
* Practicum in Curriculum Development x Evaluation
* Qualitative Research Methods
* School and Society
* Current Trends and Issues in Educational Technology
* Issues and Trends in Education
Bilkent University graduate programs offer admission to applicants who have the necessary qualifications and show promise of scholarly achievement. Each department establishes its own criteria for admission and departmental listings include more detailed information about these. The following are some of the common admission requirements for all departments:
* All applicants are required to submit ALES (Akademik Personel ve Lisansüstü Egitimi Giris Sinavi - Academic Personnel and Postgraduate Education Entrance Exam) or GRE scores. (GMAT score is required for graduate programs in Business Administration.)
Fluency in written and oral English. Test scores are required for non-native English speakers (please see the Graduate School web sites for the list of accepted tests).
* Recommendations from instructors or others qualified to evaluate academic ability.
At least 2 year(s) of work experience is required.
Qualified teacher status and minimum 2 years teaching experience in schools
Currently about 80% of the graduate students receive financial support. Financial assistance is provided in the form of a tuition waiver or a tuition waiver plus a monthly stipend. The amount of the stipend is adjusted annually to cover changes in the cost of living.
Both admission and financial assistance are based on academic accomplishment and scholarly promise alone, without regard to gender, race, ethnicity, religion, age, national origin or physical disabilities.