Photos of university / #eka_estonian_academy_of_arts
The doctoral studies in Estonian Academy of Arts, Faculty of Architecture are divided into two directions: the traditional theoretical text based research and experimental design based research. The last one is also divided into two directions: creative practice research and research by design.
The doctoral studies include the following domains: planning, urban design, architecture, interior architecture and landscape architecture. Doctoral studies are aiming to develop and reflect creation, histories, theories and philosophy of these fields.
The more detailed aims of the doctoral studies are:
- Create new professional knowledge, which connect the spatial issues at large with the contemporary problems of society;
- Develop and introduce skills, new knowledge and professional competences to advance the sustainable development of environment;
- Create new professional knowledge and skills to collaborate with other areas of research;
- Develop existing and create new methods and strategies for research activity in spatial matters;
- To participate in the international cooperation of researchers and creative professionals of spatial matters.
In short: The doctoral studies in EKA, Faculty of Architecture aim to be creative, contemporary, sustainable, innovative, interdisciplinary and international.
- History and theories of architecture
- History and theories of urbanism
- Current problems of design, architecture and urbanism (Design based research)
- Architecture and digital space (Text and design based research)
- application for admission to doctoral studies filled in in internet : 1st of February – 1st of March, 2021
- a certified copy of diploma (both BA and MA) verifying the acquired level of education and of diploma supplement and its translation into Estonian, English or Russian (both, copies and translations have to be attested by notary).
- certificate of foreign language skills (attested copy)
The admission deadline for international applicants is March 1st, 2021.
– CV (please find the form from here)
– portfolio or defended Master’s Thesis
– motivation letter
– project of the doctoral thesis
– supervisor’s academical CV (needed if supervisor is from another university)
– passport or ID-card (scanned version uploaded to the application)
The exam result (grade, max 10 points) will become according to the interview, PhD thesis project and portfolio or defended MA thesis.
Application documents will be processed only after we have received all the required documents.
* Application documents will be processed only after admission fee – 50 EUR – is received by the Estonian Academy of Arts. Please find further information here.
Verification of English skill with international language tests:
Minimum requirements set by EAA:
– TOEFL ITP: min 543
– TOEFL iBT: min 72
– IELTS: min 5,5
– FCE: min 160
– Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic): min 59
The amount of doctoral allowance is 660 EUR per month
Online Open House event on 4th of February 2021 at 17:00 (GMT+2).