Photos of university / #cambridgeuniversity
The Medical Research Council (MRC) Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB) is one of the world's leading research institutes. Discoveries and inventions developed at the LMB, for example DNA sequencing and methods to determine the structure of proteins, have revolutionised all areas of biology. Our scientists work to advance understanding of biological processes at the molecular level. This information will help us to understand the workings of complex systems, such as the immune system and the brain, and solve key problems in human health.
Every year the LMB International PhD Programme gives 20-30 new graduate students from universities all over the world the opportunity to do cutting-edge research. At the LMB, we aim to train the scientific leaders of the future: we seek the best students, give them rewarding research projects and provide a supportive environment with access to world-class facilities and experts.
Our new building is a key component in the development of the Cambridge Biomedical Campus, and is located at the hub of one of the largest and most internationally competitive concentrations of healthcare-related talent and enterprise in Europe. The new LMB building has a stunning design and provides a globally competitive research centre with state of the art facilities for making the discoveries of the 21st Century.
We have an active Graduate Student Association (GSA), founded and run entirely by our students, which organises numerous events specifically for graduates. Graduate students register for their PhD with the University of Cambridge and belong to a Cambridge College.
|One to one supervision||
Each student is assigned a principal Supervisor who has expertise in the student’s research area and is accessible to offer advice on all aspects of the PhD. The supervisor's main role at the LMB is to help students clarify their own ideas and guide their independent research efforts. PhD students are expected to have the capacity and enthusiasm for organising their own research and to work on their own initiative.
Students are also supported by a second supervisor and University supervisor, who form the students supervisory team. Regular meetings ensure students receive timely advice and support throughout their PhD.
Students can expect to receive an online feedback report each term
The PhD is assessed via a PhD dissertation and a subsequent viva. The dissertation is not to exceed 60,000 words (80,000 by special permission) excluding bibliography, figures, appendices etc. Double-spaced or one-and-a-half spaced. Single or double-sided printing.
All full-time students are assessed before the end of the first year (before the end of the second year for part-time students) as a requirement for registration for a PhD. At the LMB this assessment has two parts:
- a short written report to be submitted 9 months after PhD start date (20 months for part-time students)
- an assessment meeting with two assessors (usually their Second Supervisor and University Supervisor) within 10 months of PhD start date (within 22 months for part-time students)
Students must also present their research progress and future plans to the next cohort of students in the October following their assessment.
- Magistr (Master's Degree) at Pass level. Diploma Specialista (completed post-1991) with a minimum overall grade of good or 4/5 Bachelor's from Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology and other prestigious institutions with an overall grade of 4/5 Bologna Bachelor's from other institutions with an overall grade of 5/5, Excellent
- Diploma Specialista (completed post-1991) with a minimum overall grade of Excellent or 5/5 Bachelor's from Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology and other prestigious institutions with an overall grade of 5/5
- IELTS (Academic) 7.0
- TOEFL Internet Score 100
- £50 application fee
- First Academic Reference
- Second Academic Reference
- Statement of Interests
- Personal Reference
- Global Education
- Gates Cambridge Scholarships
- MRC Studentship
- LMB Cambridge Scholarship
- César Milstein Studentship
- Neuberger Studentship