Photos of university / #ubridgeport
In the recent years, biology has been modernized with the development of new and sophisticated techniques in molecular and cellular biology, genomics, and bioinformatics. These techniques are utilized today in various areas of research, from genetics and differentiation to biomedicine, field studies, and animal behavior. Our departments program of study and research reflect this modern view of biology.
Students are exposed to modern concepts, and current methods of experimentation in molecular biology, genomics, and field biology within introductory courses taken at the outset of their studies. Motivated students have the opportunity to choose advanced courses, which are given in the specialized areas of faculty research.
Medical School Preparation and Career Success
The Biology program at UB provides an outstanding preparation for careers in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, naturopathic medicine, chiropractic, allied health professions and related fields, in research and academia. Graduates of UBs biology department have a remarkable record of success in acceptance into graduate and professional schools (medical), and in establishing notable careers in the biomedical sciences.
The University of Bridgeport, in consultation with the leadership of the University of Connecticut, School of Pharmacy, has developed a pre-pharmacy curriculum that meets the requirements for admission into the Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) Program offered by the University of Connecticut, School of Pharmacy. This pre-pharmacy curriculum may be completed under the auspices of either the Biology or Health Sciences program.
The Biology program offers curricula leading to a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree.
By completing the Biology program, students will:
- be able to read and interpret current biological literature, formulate scientific hypotheses, design and execute experiments, and analyze and interpret data .
- have mastered the fundamental principles of cell/molecular /organism biology.
- have training necessary to apply biological, biomedical and biotechnological principles and techniques to human health and well-being from a holistic/wellness perspective.
- have awareness and appreciation of interdisciplinary interactions among other disciplines in the natural sciences, mathematics and cognate fields.
- have awareness to appreciate the beauty, complexity and fragility of our biosphere, and the intricate dynamics of balancing systems within the biosphere.
- have critical tools to exercise responsibility and stewardship of the biosphere by assuming positions of leadership in our global society.
Detailed Course FactsApplication deadline July 1 is the last date to apply for the Fall Semester which begins late August/early September;November 1 is the last date to apply for the Spring Semester which begins mid-January Tuition fee
- USD 30965 Year (EEA)
- USD 30965 Year (Non-EEA)
Duration full-time 48 months Languages Take an IELTS test
The Biology Department offers a Bachelor of Science and a Bachelor of Arts degree in Biology. Students are introduced to a wide range of laboratory settings and techniques. Both degrees prepare students to pursue a traditional graduate biology degree or to successfully enter a graduate school in Biomedical Science, Biotechnology, or Allied Health and Health Professions.
Biology students are prepared to enter the work force in government, the pharmaceutical or chemical industry, EPA, FDA, NIH or other research institutions.
Upon successful completion of two semesters in the general biology program students may apply to pursue one of the following options (track) in biology:
- Biomedical Science/Biotechnology
- Environmental Biology
- Marine Biology
- Toxicology (general-forensic)
- Pre-health Professions
Each option (track) is designed to train students in a particular contemporary area of biology and requires a laboratory experience. The tracks permit students to create a course of study that will meet their unique academic and career goals.
A minor in Biology also is offered.
- Bio 101 General Biology I (4 semester credit hours)
- Bio 102 General Biology II (4 semester credit hours)
- Chem 103 General Chemistry I (4 semester credit hours)
- Chem 104 General Chemistry II (4 semester credit hours)
- Engl C101 Composition & Rhetoric (3 semester credit hours)
- Math 109 Precalculus (4 semester credit hours)
- Fine Arts (3 semester credit hours)
- FYS 101 First Year Seminar (3 semester credit hours)
29 Credit hours
- Bio 211 General Physiology (4 semester credit hours)
- Bio 223 Ecology (4 semester credit hours)
- Chem 205 Organic Chemistry I (4 semester credit hours)
- Chem 206 Organic Chemistry II (4 semester credit hours)
- Humanities (3 semester credit hours)
- Foreign Language (6 semester credit hours)
- Social Science (3 semester credit hours)
- Social Science Elective (3 semester credit hours)
31 Credit hours
JUNIOR YEAR AND SENIOR YEAR
- Bio 307 Genetics (3 semester credit hours)
- Bio 321 Cell Physiology (3 semester credit hours)
- Bio 443 Molecular Biology (4 semester credit hours)
- Bio Biology Electives (18 semester credit hours)
- Humanities Elective (3 semester credit hours)
- Caps 390 Capstone Seminar (3 semester credit hours)
- Phys 201 General Physics I (4 semester credit hours)
- Phys 202 General Physics II (4 semester credit hours)
- Electives (22 semester credit hours)
60 Credit hours
Total Semester Hours : 120
English Language Requirements
IELTS band : 6 TOEFL paper-based test score : 500 TOEFL iBT® test : 61
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test.
You can demonstrate proof of English Language competency by meeting any one of the criteria listed below:
1. A letter certifying completion of level 6 at the Universitys English Language Institute (ELI).
Attainment of a satisfactory score on the University of Bridgeports English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB).
2. A minimum TOEFL score of 500 (PBT), 173 (CBT), or 61 (IBT) for undergraduates and a minimum score of 550 (PBT), 213 (CBT), or 80 (IBT) for graduates (post-graduates).
3. A minimum IELTS (Cambridge Testing) Band score of 6.0 for Undergraduates and a minimum Band score of 6.5 for graduates (post-graduates).
4. A transcript from an accredited American university indicating a grade of C or better in one semester of college English Composition.
5. Critical Reading SAT score of 400 or above; or ACT English score of 19 or above.
6.An official letter certifying completion of ELS (English Language Service) through level 112.
7.An official letter certifying completion of CSE (The Center for English Studies) through level 7.5.
8. A Michigan English Assessment Battery (MELAB) score of 69 or above for undergraduates and score of 77 or above for graduates.
9. A Prueba de Aptitud Academica (PAA) English achievement score of 500 or above.
10. A level of Advanced on the English Language Proficiency Test of the College Board.
11. An official O level or A level Certificate indicating a grade of C or better in English.
12. An EIKEN score of Grade 2A or above for undergraduates and a score of Grade Pre-1 or above for graduates.
13. A score of 4 or better on the English A Higher Level examination in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program.
14. WAEC, WASSE, CXC, etc. Score of C or better on English Language exam.
15. A minimum Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) score of 44 for undergraduates and a minimum PTE Academic score of 53 for graduates (post-graduates).
You must demonstrate English language competency in one of the ways listed above. If you dont demonstrate English language competency in one of these ways prior to registration, you will be given the University English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB) test upon arrival. If you pass at a satisfactory level, you may begin classes.
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Alumni Study Travel Fund
Scholarships for students who are already attending the University of Reading.
- Amsterdam Merit Scholarships
The University of Amsterdam aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its international classrooms. Outstanding students from outside the European Economic Area can apply for an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship.