This course gives you the chance to spend a year preparing for a university degree course in the heart of London.
You will be able to develop subject knowledge, English language skills and the study skills you will need to go on to a degree course. The course will give you an understanding of the main areas of your chosen specialisation.
It will also introduce you to academic study in the UK and if necessary help you to reach a level equivalent to at least 5.5 IELTS in English. You will be registered as a London Metropolitan University student.
Successful students are guaranteed a place on a suitable degree course here.
Please note that there is no UK public funding or Student Loan Company funding available for this course.
Students who pass the IFP, and have achieved the required module results, are automatically offered a place in their subject area on one of our three-year bachelors degrees. The International Foundation Programme runs from September to June, and students can then join their chosen Bachelors degree in the following September.
Detailed Course FactsApplication deadline Friday 28th November 2014 for January 2015 applications / Friday 14th August 2014 for September 2015 applications Tuition fee
- GBP 5360 Year (EEA)
- GBP 8000 Year (International)
Part time cost: UK and EU students: £1,340 per 30 credit module;International students: £2,000 per 30 credit moduleStart date January,September 2015 Duration full-time 12 months Languages Take an IELTS test
The course will enable you to improve your English and gain the skills you need for degree-level study. You can choose from one of the following subject pathways:
- Architecture and Interior Design
- Art, Media and Design
- Biology and Chemistry
- Business Studies
- Humanities & Social Science
You will study a combination of modules from your subject pathway giving you an introduction to your subject area. You will also take learning & research skills, and English modules, should you need to improve your language skills.
- General and Academic English: teaches you the written and spoken English language you need for study at University in the United Kingdom.
- Learning Skills: covers all the skills you need for higher education study finding information, reading, writing essays, giving presentations and working in groups.
- English for Undergraduate Study: further develops your language abilities and study methods to prepare you for your degree.
You also study modules specific to your pathway, giving you an introduction to your subject area.
English Language Requirements
IELTS band : 4.5
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test.
To join this course, you will usually need good results in 12 years of education, and to have completed High School or similar in your own country.
You will also need to have a good standard of English:
- IELTS 4.5 (minimum of 4.5 in each component) or an equivalent qualification (for the September entry);
- IELTS 5.0 (minimum of 5.0 in each component) or an equivalent qualification (for the February entry).
When you apply for this course, we will often also make you a conditional offer for your chosen degree course, conditional upon you passing the International Foundation Programme and the required modules.
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Access Bursary
Bursary for UK students all subjects where the variable tuition fee rate is payable.
- Alumni Bursary
Alumni Bursary for UK Undergraduate students
* The scholarships shown on this page are suggestions first and foremost. They could be offered by other organisations than London Metropolitan University.