Photos of university / #sdstatepics
Dairy Science is an application of the sciences, engineering and technology, and business for the study of milk production and processing. Dairy Science students may choose a major in Dairy Production, Dairy Manufacturing or both. Dairy Production is the study of production of milk, management of the farm, feeding, breeding and herd health and Dairy Manufacturing is the study of processing and merchandising of milk and milk products. In addition, specialization in Science, and Business is available with both majors. A Microbiology Specialization is available for Manufacturing majors. This Specialization is designed to prepare students with a strong interest in pursuing Microbiology related careers within the dairy industry.
The Dairy Research and Training Facility (DRTF) of the Dairy Science department houses 300 Holstein and Brown Swiss cattle and is a research center in feeding, breeding, and managing a dairy herd. Equally important, it is the site for basic student training in dairy cattle evaluation and other aspects of dairy farming. Milk produced at the DRTF is delivered to the well-equipped dairy plant where it is processed into fluid milk, ice cream, butter or cheese. These products are sold through the Dairy Sales Bar and used in campus dining facilities. Most students work part-time at the processing plant and/or at the DRTF. Both are opportunities for students to work part-time and gain practical experience while earning money. Many of the Dairy Science classes include lab components that are conducted at the farm and plant. Students are encouraged to supplement their class instruction with summer internships and extracurricular activities.
Leadership opportunities are available through participation in the Dairy Science Club, Dairy Cattle Judging, and Dairy Products Evaluation Teams. The department has strong research programs in both areas, in part through the Midwest Dairy Foods Research Center and research opportunities for undergraduate students are also available. Dairy Science degrees are designed to prepare students for a wide range of outstanding, challenging and rewarding career opportunities in both majors ranging from industry to private enterprise, government, research and others.
Detailed Course FactsApplication deadline June for Fall semester; November for Spring semester Tuition fee
- USD 8946 Year (National)
- USD 18044 Year (International)
Duration full-time 48 months Languages Take an IELTS test
Course ContentMajor Requirements: 50-51
- Principles of Accounting
- Food Processing and Engineering Fundamentals and Lab
- Chemistry Survey and Lab
- or General Chemistry I and Lab
- Organic and Biochemistry and Lab
- or Elementary Organic Chemistry and Lab
- Dairy Products Judging Credits: 1
- Dairy Microbiology and Lab Credits: 3
- Technical Control of Dairy Products I and Lab Credits: 3
- Dairy Product Processing I and Lab Credits: 5
- Dairy Product Processing II and Lab Credits: 5
- Dairy Plant Management Credits: 3
- Technical Control of Dairy Products II and Lab Credits: 4
- General Microbiology and Lab * (COM) Credits: 4
- Survey of Physics and Lab * (COM) Credits: 4
- Introduction to Physics I and Lab * (COM) Credits: 4 or University Physics I and LabCredits: 4
English Language Requirements
IELTS band : 5.5 TOEFL paper-based test score : 500 TOEFL iBT® test : 61
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test. More About IELTS
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Alumni Study Travel Fund
Scholarships for students who are already attending the University of Reading.
- Amsterdam Merit Scholarships
The University of Amsterdam aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its international classrooms. Outstanding students from outside the European Economic Area can apply for an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship.
* The scholarships shown on this page are suggestions first and foremost. They could be offered by other organisations than South Dakota State University.
FundingSDSU offers a variety of academic scholarships. Awards are based on academic achievement, activities participation and leadership.
South Dakota State University has been granted the full, ten-year reaccreditation by the Higher Learning Commission. An accreditation team of representatives from peer institutions commended SDSU for:
- Dedicated faculty and staff
- Quality new facilities
- Excellent student leadership
- Shared governance
- Partnerships with local community
- Robust and Integrated assessment program
- Successful transition to NCAA Division I Athletics