Students who earn M.S. or Ph.D. degrees in Environmental Sciences will:
* develop a broad, interdisciplinary understanding of environmental processes, problems, and solutions;
* develop specialized understanding within a chosen sub-field of environmental science;
* conduct original research within a chosen sub-field of environmental science (Ph.D. and M.S. thesis option);
* develop the ability to effectively communicate scientific data, concepts, and problems orally and in writing, and through the production of clear and compelling graphics (figures, tables, and schematics);
* be prepared to assume positions of professional leadership in industry, government, and non-profit sectors or to continue their graduate studies (M.S. program);
* be prepared to assume positions of scholarly leadership in academia, industry, government, and non-profit sectors (Ph.D. program);
* be prepared to participate in scientific and professional associations and other activities within the scientific community or society at large;
* understand and uphold scientific and professional ethics in their work.
This unique program, limited to Ph.D. students, offers a joint degree between Rutgers University and the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, UMDNJ. Its purpose is to provide instruction and research experiences examining human contact with chemical, physical and biological agents or products, and the relationships of such contacts with human activity patterns.
* Environmental Exposure Measurements & Assessment
* Ethical Scientific Conduct
Personal Statement Content for all applicants.
The personal statement should include four separate paragraphs, each addressing one of the following topics: * Describe your academic preparation, achievements and interests.
* What skills do you hope to learn after completing Exposure Assessment (PhD only)?
* Which of the programs faculty member(s) do you want to work with and why? You are encouraged to contact faculty in the program to gauge compatibility and investigate options for financial support if needed.
* What are your career goals after you complete your graduate studies at Rutgers?
English Language RequirementsTOEFL paper-based test score : 590
All first year PhD students are supported by departmental or university fellowships or graduate assistantships, which provide stipend, tuition remission, and sometimes student fees for the first year.After the first year, students will be supported by their advisors through fellowships and graduate assistantships.
There are also a number of multi-year fellowships available for advanced students through NSF and NIH training programs. BME also has a limited number of teaching assistantships for graduate students who demonstrate outstanding teaching skills.
The Rutgers name is recognized everywhere, and a Rutgers degree makes a great first impression. Weve built our academic reputation on solid accomplishments:
* Rutgers is a memberso are Harvard, Yale, and Berkeleyof the prestigious Association of American Universities, the 61 leading research universities in North America.
* More than 175 Rutgers research centers support pioneering work in stem cells, climate change, DNA analysis, and more.
* Rutgers international reputation draws top students from more than 130 countries and all 50 states.