Photos of university / #teessideuni
The MSc Forensic Science concentrates on practices, procedures and analytical techniques used within forensic science, and how they are applied in support of the investigation of crime and the criminal justice system as a whole. This course is accredited by the Forensic Science Society
On completion of the course you will be able to demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of forensic science and how scientific methods are applied to the investigation of crime. You benefit from our links with practitioners and organisations working in the field. In addition, key members of staff are former forensic scientists or crime scene scientists with considerable operational experience. Expect to carry out analytical and practical work in the University's on-campus Crime Scene House Laboratory, which is fully equipped with CCTV, the specialist analytical laboratories and the forensic DNA analysis facilities.
Here's what one of our former students says about the course.
What you study
You study the taught modules listed followed by a 60-credit in-depth project.
How you learn
The course consists of lectures, tutorials and laboratory work.
How you are assessed
Modules are assessed by in-course assignments, including a courtroom-based expert witness assessment and end exams.
Employment opportunities exist in the field of forensic science and forensic investigation with forensic science providers and law enforcement agencies. Other roles include scientific investigation where the application of science in a legal or regulatory context is important.
This MSc programme has been accredited and commended by the Forensic Science Society, the international professional body for forensic science.
* Forensic Biology
* Forensic Chemistry
* Forensic Practice
* Practical Health and Safety Skills
* Principles of Crime Scene Science
* Research and Study Skills
* Current Issues in Forensic Practice
* Legal Issues and Evidence Reporting
* Research Project
Modules offered may vary.
Postgraduate funding support
From September 2013 benefit from a 10% fees discount towards your postgraduate taught course (part-time or full-time) if you:
* are a continuing Teesside University student progressing from an undergraduate to postgraduate course or
* have graduated from an undergraduate course at Teesside University within the last two years (2011-12) or
* graduated with first-class honours from an undergraduate course at any other university within the last two years (2011-12)