The School is committed to increasing the number of students recruited to and trained through its postgraduate programmes. Our mission is to facilitate and enable the development and throughput of truly excellent doctoral students from diverse country contexts.
Because the PhD degree has become an especially important marker of research and development and intellectual capacity internationally, it has also become the focus of various national strategic policies in the South African higher education and research environments.
The SHCD has therefore developed a systematic application screening and enrolment process that aims to optimise the "goodness of fit" between a PhD student and the School. This process should ensure a seamless journey from registration to graduation. We are especially interested in attracting students who have previously shown a flair for research, and who show evidence of understanding the theory in the area in which they wish to conduct their studies.
At a postgraduate level, specialised teaching prepares students in the following fields
- Industrial/Organisational Psychology
- Educational Psychology
- Occupational Social Work
- Social Development
- Clinical Psychology
- Community-Counselling Psychology
- Fill in the online application form by going to www.wits.ac.za/applications. If you are not able to access the online application system you can download the application form here.
- A full academic transcript of all previous university courses taken including percentage scores where possible (students who are or have been registered at Wits need not submit a transcript).
- A SAQA equivalence certificate in the case of an applicant who did not complete a Master’s degree at a South African University.
- A copy of the Master’s research report or dissertation
- A concept paper relating to the proposed research. A template for the development of such a concept paper is available at http://www.wits.ac.za/umthombo/psychology.