Photos of university / #aberystwyth.university
This Masters provides students with an introduction to the advanced study of Postcolonial Studies. In particular, the programme is designed to facilitate a critical awareness of the theory and practice of Postcolonial Studies in the contemporary world.
The degree also incorporates a significant Research Training and Development component designed to provide students with general research and transferable skills.
This degree provides opportunities for students to develop and demonstrate knowledge, understanding, qualities, skills and other attributes in the following areas:
* The assumptions, theories and practices that have defined traditional studies of relations between developed and underdeveloped states, and the alternative conceptualisation provided by Postcolonial Studies
* Key concepts in Postcolonial Studies, e.g. hybridity, power and resistance
* An ability to relate general theoretical issues and debates of postcolonialism to particular case studies and conditions
* The basic principles of research design and strategy
* A range of methodological and analytical skills applicable in a wide variety of research contexts; and,
* The significance of alternative epistemological positions that provide the context for theory construction, research design and the selection of appropriate analytical techniques.
The core modules are currently as follows:
* Postcolonial Politics 1: Power, Colonialism and Identity
* Postcolonial Politics 2: Development, Democracy, Resistance
Optional Modules Many core modules can be taken as options by Specialist pathway students on other Masters degree schemes in the Department (with the exception of core modules that are already oversubscribed). The department teaches a number of dedicated Masters options each year. Masters optional modules in recent years have included: Theory and Practice of International Political Community; Security and Defence Policy in the European Union; International Legitimacy since 1648; and The Vietnam Syndrome and American Foreign Policy.
Please note that we cannot guarantee that every option listed here will be available each year.