Master's program "Advanced Materials Science" is focused on the study of new construction materials used in space engineering, accurate mechanical engineering, medicine, information technologies and other fields. The program also undertakes study of the fundamental physical principles of measurements, modern analytical methods of materials properties study, as well as methods of their production. The program is designed for students who have received a BS degree in solid state physics, materials science, nanomaterials, or metallurgy.
Importance of the MS program. New materials were discovered and studied mainly by a rule of thumb. Yet, today due to the continuously growing industrial expectations from new materials possessing a wide spectrum of properties, there needs to be elaborated strong and reliable theoretical grounds, induced from practical experiments, to achieve greater success in this field.
Another part of the program is focused on the advancement of the technology of materials production. For example, the transfer from the polycrystalline Ni-based superalloys to the single crystals, the alloying by Re and Ru and the use of the hot isostatic pressure lead to the creation of materials for the turbine blades for the five generation gas turbines engines with high temperature strength 30% more.
Skills & Competences. The program helps students find appropriate solutions to contemporary scientific problems of materials science, as well as understand the principles of materials design for different purposes, theoretical (thermodynamic, kinetic, structural, etc.) and experimental methods, methods of computer modeling. The program helps choose the optimal regimes of materials production, evaluate preliminary costs of experiments and ways to reduce them, it teaches students to become more effective and efficient in teamwork and apply practical results of their study in real-life setting.
After passing the entrance exams, a student works out his or her individual schedule of classes as well as defines the major field of expertise his or her scientific paper will be focused on. Every student will have a scientific advisor who will guide them through educational and practical stages of the program as well as assist them in working at their dissertation.
Usually, most theoretical classes are held within the 1st and 2nd terms of the program, yet certain classes may also take place during the 3rd term. While following the program, students will carry out research and experimental work either at the MISiS laboratories or at the Institutes of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Institute of Solid State Physics, Institute of Physical Chemistry, and Institute of Materials Science and Metallurgy). As an accepted rule, Assistant Professors are remunerated for R&D assistance they provide.
Most research work is conducted during the 3rd term of the program. Upon the termination of their research activities, students prepare a Research Account which will be partially covered in their dissertation.
During the 4th terms students are mainly engaged in working at their dissertaions.
After the program is completed, students who have not prepared their master's thesis, receive a Certificate, and those who prepared and defended it, - the master's diploma of "Advanced Materials Science".
Special offer for the first enrollment into MISiS International Master Programs:
All applicants willing to be accepted into one of the proposed Master Programs in the Fall/Spring Semester will be awarded an educational annual grant of $5, 000 to cover the tuition fee.
The decision to award is taken by the Admissions Committee on the basis of the Applicants Dossier and is taken according to the following Eligibility Criteria:
- GPA for the B.A. period of study,
- Language proficiency,
- Scientific publications,
- Awards, honors, and distinctions, and
- Personal and professional motivation spelt out in the Cover Letter.
The final rate of an Applicants Dossier will be published on the web-site of the International Master Programs not later than 7 days after the closure of the Admissions.
Applicants whose dossiers will be rated at the first 10% positions on the Dossier list will receive an annual educational grant of $10,000.
Educational grant will not be given if:
- an Applicants Dossier is submitted after the deadline,
- an Applicants Dossier is not complete/there are documents missing.
International Student Scholarship Program
The National University of Science and Technology MISiS is excited to announce a new competitive scholarship program open to full-time international students* pursuing a bachelors or masters degree. The International Student Scholarship Program has been created within the framework of the Program to Increase the Competitiveness of the National University of Science and Technology MISiS Among Leading Global Scientific Educational Centers.
International Student Scholarship benefits include:
- Free tuition to the National University of Science and Technology MISiS during the entire program of study
- Priority for rooms in student residence halls
- A stipend that student will use to cover housing
- A stipend that student will use to pay for mandatory health insurance
Who May Apply:
There are two different target groups that are eligible to participate in the International Student Scholarship Program.
Group I: Full-time graduate students pursuing a degree in a technical field or students who have been conditionally accepted into a technical field degree program but need to improve their Russian language skills before entering the program. This group also includes Masters dual degree program students.
Group II:Exchange graduate students from partner universities studying or participating in one of the training programs taught in English at MISiS.
How to Apply:
To be considered for an International Student Scholarship, applicants must send the following documents to MISiS by 10 June 2014. All documents must be submitted via email to email@example.com with the subject heading International Scholarship Program_Last name_First name
- Completed application with an attached color passport photograph
- Copies of diploma(s) and transcript(s) from all previous academic institutions
- Certified Russian translations of educational documents. They must be notarized or they must be authenticated by the Consular Department of the Embassy of the Russian Federation
- Cover letter in English or Russian
- Letters of recommendation (for master's degree applicants only)
- Copies of documents (certificates or other notifications of having won international and national (city-wide or other) academic competitions, information on scientific publications, or participation in innovative activities
- Copy of the biographical information page of the passport which will be used by the international student to enter the Russian Federation, with a validity date not less than 18 months from the start date on the academic entry visa