The Biochemistry major provides students with an integrated education in biochemistry that brings together the basics of biochemistry and its application to biological systems. The major takes advantage of the diversity of molecular/biochemical research and coursework that is offered at Rutgers at SEBS and the other schools. Students will apply their basic understanding of biochemistry to a specific area of interest, ranging from toxicology /pharmacology, to food and nutritional sciences, microbiology, animal science, and plant biology.This redesigned and enhanced curriculum follows the recommendations of the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB) and has components of both a traditional coursecentered approach to teaching and the more current content- and outcome-centered approach. The purpose of the major is to prepare students for futures in science, either through obtaining advanced degrees or through entering the workforce in the pharmaceutical, biotechnological and chemical industries, government service, communications, law and many other fields.
Detailed Course FactsApplication deadline February, October Tuition fee
- USD 13683 Year (National)
- USD 27978 Year (International)
The curriculum emphasizes the integration of the foundations of chemistry, physics, and the biological sciences with the contemporary problems of biochemistry. Laboratory courses in biochemistry using modern instrumentation and procedures supplement the lecture instruction and expose students to a wide range of techniques used in biochemical research.The curriculum prepares students for graduate study in biochemistry or related fields, including multidisciplinary research on problems in agriculture and the environment; professional school (medical or dental); immediate employment in research laboratories in industry or government; or other careers that may not entail continued laboratory work but make use of understanding of science and scientific research. By selecting appropriate electives, a student also can prepare for a career in areas such as genetic engineering and other aspects of biotechnology.
English Language Requirements
IELTS band : 6.5 TOEFL paper-based test score : 550 TOEFL iBT® test : 79
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test. More About IELTS
Our primary emphasis is placed on the students academic promise as demonstrated by:
- completion of required entrance subjects
- academic performance in high school or its equivalent:
- strength of academic program (number/type of academic, honors, or advanced placement courses completed)
- grades and grade trends
- weighted grade-point average(s)
- cumulative rank, when available
- SAT and/or ACT scores
- English Proficiency Examination results, when required
No work experience is required.
The Rutgers name is recognized everywhere, and a Rutgers degree makes a great first impression. Weve built our academic reputation on solid accomplishments:
- Rutgers is a memberso are Harvard, Yale, and Berkeleyof the prestigious Association of American Universities, the 61 leading research universities in North America.
- More than 175 Rutgers research centers support pioneering work in stem cells, climate change, DNA analysis, and more.
- Rutgers international reputation draws top students from more than 130 countries and all 50 states.