Photos of university / #cambridgeuniversity
The Master's in Bioscience Enterprise (MBE) programme is a one year multidisciplinary biotechnology and business degree course. It is designed for high-achieving individuals with enthusiasm for enterprise, who have the ambition to found technology businesses or take up leadership, executive or consultancy roles in the life sciences sector.
Teaching covers the latest advances in biological and medical science, together with business management and the ethical, legal and regulatory issues associated with bringing scientific advances to market. The programme is highly participatory and includes practical elements in the form of interdisciplinary projects, case studies and business planning activities. Students gain an international perspective of the sector during a study tour to the USA (self-funded) and have opportunities to undertake a consulting project and a technology company internship placement. For further information about the scientific and business components of the programme refer to the Overview. Teaching takes place from October to June. Graduates are awarded a Master of Philosophy degree (M.Phil.).
Prospective students may be eligible for funding to pursue this course and applicants are recommended to review the requirements of the Cambridge Trusts and other scholarship organisations. Candidates eligible for financial support must make their applications for a place on the programme at the earliest possible date. Please also note that the closing date for bursary and scholarship applications is usually much earlier than that for the programme. In addition to University funding the Department may be able to offer some bursaries for 2012-2013.
Applications are received from all over the world from those with an excellent first degree in life or physical sciences, medicine, law, economics or allied disciplines. The syllabus provides an unparalleled educational experience for entrepreneurs and is particularly relevant for those with postgraduate experience in business or academia.
The MBE programme provides graduates with training in the latest advances in exploitable biotechnology, together with knowledge and understanding of business practice, and innovation in biotechnology companies and other commercial entities. Science and technology, business and transitionary modules are taught in each term, integrating commercial know-how with advances in research, thus demonstrating the many complex issues associated with bringing discovery and innovation from the laboratory to the market. All components of the course are compulsory and students are required to study intensively.
Attainment is continuously assessed and there is particular emphasis on class participation and learning through practical team-work in the research, preparation, and delivery of presentations. Written submissions include science and technology in business papers, a number of short reports and critical appraisals, a consulting project report and a dissertation of 10,000 words based on research and analysis conducted during a company internship placement. Students are encouraged to participate in extracurricular enterprise activities including business plan competitions and submit a business plan as one of the course assignments.
Science and Technology Modules
- Treating Disease
- Drug Discovery I & II
- Diagnostics and Devices
- Management of Technology and Innovation
- Healthcare Economics
- Law and Intellectual Property
- Company Internship
- Company Analysis
- Founding a High Tech Enterprise I & II
- Case Studies and Company Visits
- Business Planning Activities
- Magistr (Master's Degree) at Pass level. Diploma Specialista (completed post-1991) with a minimum overall grade of good or 4/5 Bachelor's from Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology and other prestigious institutions with an overall grade of 4/5 Bologna Bachelor's from other institutions with an overall grade of 5/5, Excellent
- Diploma Specialista (completed post-1991) with a minimum overall grade of Excellent or 5/5 Bachelor's from Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology and other prestigious institutions with an overall grade of 5/5
- IELTS (Academic) 7.5
- TOEFL Internet Score 110
- £50 application fee
- First Academic Reference
- Second Academic Reference
- Personal Reference. This is only required if you are applying for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship.
- Statement of Interests
- Gates Cambridge (Overseas)
- Cambridge International Scholarship Scheme (CISS)
- Cambridge Commonwealth, European and International Trust