Photos of university / #harvard
The program is distinguished from the Harvard PhD in Economics by its greater emphasis on business fields and its focus on the use of economic analysis and statistical methods in dealing effectively with management problems. At the same time, it is distinguished from the Doctor of Business Administration degree by its greater emphasis on economic theory and econometric analysis.
Possible fields of specialization include:
- Capital markets and financial institutions
- Corporate finance
- Organizations and markets
- International business
- Business strategy and industrial organization
- Corporate governance
- Business and government
Students take an active role in selecting and defining the combination of subjects that will make up their own individual fields of specialization.
Students in Business Economics take courses in microeconomic theory, macroeconomic theory, probability and statistics, econometrics, business history, the Business Education for Scholars and Teachers (BEST) Series, and other doctoral level courses.
A written general exam in microeconomic theory is required a the end of the first year.
After passing the Field Exam, students are expected to enroll in a working seminar or participate in an informal lunchtime seminar group. Students in their third year or beyond must present in the working seminar (or informal lunchtime seminar) at least once per year. Normal completion time for the degree is five years.
RequirementsREQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Completed online application form
- Statement of Purpose
- Transcripts for all college/university degrees and courses:
- Current GMAT or GRE scores (see details below)
- TOEFL scores (non-native English speakers see details below)
- Three letters of recommendation (at least one from an academic source). Recommendation letters must be submitted online through the online application system. Hard copy recommendation letters will not be accepted.
- $105 application fee via credit card
English Language RequirementsTOEFL iBT® test: 80
All incoming students, regardless of need and background, are awarded a fellowship which includes tuition, single-person health fees, and a living stipend ($39,600 for 2014-2015).Although there is no formal commitment, it is expected that a similar level of financial aid will be awarded for up to five years. All financial aid awards are contingent upon a student's satisfactory academic progress.