Photos of university / #nuigalway
The MSc in Coastal and Marine Environments is a full-time postgraduate course delivered over 3 semesters. It is directed at graduates from Geography, Natural Sciences and other related disciplines in the social and natural sciences, and at professionals in the field who are interested in furthering their knowledge of coastal and marine environments.
Since the emergence of integrated coastal zone management (ICZM) policy and practice in the 1990s, EU policy regarding catchment, coastal and marine management has continued to emphasize the importance of integrated and participatory approaches to progress sustainable development in the coastal zone. This MSc programme, theoretically informed and with a strong field-based and applied focus, is offered in direct response to new emerging discourses on the long term health of coastal and marine environments. It seeks to:
- challenge and facilitate students to engage with but go beyond established scientific conceptual and theoretical perspectives,
- engage new ways of understanding the complexities of our evolving physical coastal and marine environments
- develop critical insights that can support policy and practice in sustaining these increasingly vulnerable environments.
- Biodiversity and Coastal Change
- Coastal Processes and Landforms
- Coastal Risk: management and prevention
- Field and Laboratory Methods
- Marine Spatial Planning and Policy
- Reconstructing Marine Environments
- Reconstructing the Marine Environment OR Quaternary Coastal Change
- Coastal hazards OR Coastal Risk and Resilience
- Level 8 degree, Second Class Honours or equivalent, with Second Class Honours Grade 1 or equivalent in a relevant fieldof studies.
- 5 year University Diploma or New-style 4 year Bachelor Degree
- Minimum Grade Required: 3.8 CGPA
- All applicants, whose first language is not English, must present one of the following qualifications in the English language. IELTS 6.5. TOEFL 92
- Statement of intent
- Academic letters of recommendation
- Postgraduate Merit Scholarships