Photos of university / #ucberkeleyofficial
In advancing to the Ph.D. degree, students pass through two major stages:
- Preparation for candidacy typically takes two to three years. During the first two semesters, students take courses to achieve competence in econometric methods, methods of economic history and fundamentals of microeconomic and macroeconomic theory. During the next two years, students prepare for examination in two fields of specialization of their choosing, prepare a dissertation prospectus, and take an oral examination. When these steps are completed, students are advanced to candidacy.
- Completion of a dissertation after advancing to candidacy typically takes one to two years. The dissertation must be based on original research and represent a significant contribution to the body of Economic knowledge.
This California institution became a catalyst of economic growth and social innovation the place where vitamin E was discovered, a lost Scarlatti opera found, the flu virus identified, and the nation's first no-fault divorce law drafted. Scholars at Berkeley have conducted groundbreaking research on urban street gangs and on basic human nutritional requirements, identified why wartime supply ships were failing at sea, invented technologies to build faster and cheaper computer chips, and imaged the infant universe.
- Advanced Economic Theory
- Comparative Economics
- Development Economics
- Economic Demography
- Economic History
- Economics of Institutions
- Financial Economics
- Industrial Organization
- International Economics
- Labor Economics
- Law and Economics
- Mathematical Economics
- Political Economics
- Psychology and Economics
- Public Finance
RequirementsThe minimum graduate admission requirements are:
- a bachelors degree or recognized equivalent from an accredited institution;
- a satisfactory scholastic average, usually a minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.0 (B) on a 4.0 scale; and
- enough undergraduate training to do graduate work in your chosen field.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Letters of Recommendation
- Application Fee
English Language RequirementsIELTS band: 7 TOEFL iBT® test: 90
Financial support is available to graduate students in the form of fellowships, research assistantships, and teaching assistantships. Each year a limited number of fellowships, based on academic merit, are awarded to members of the incoming class. Fellowships range from those offering full support, including stipend, tuition, and fees, to those paying tuition only.
In a National Research Council analysis of 212 doctoral programs at American universities, 48 Berkeley programs place among the top 10 nationwide.