Photos of university
In addition to formal courses, students undertaking postgraduate courses are required to participate fully in other departmental activities of an academic nature. Such activities are regular seminars on environmental topics addressed by persons prominent in their fields, field camps and field exercises away from Cape Town, and study tours to obtain first-hand exposure to environmental problems and their solution. Graduate students who, in the opinion of the Head of Department, have not had adequate exposure to undergraduate courses with environmental content may also be required to attend specified courses.
Examination is by dissertation/thesis alone. A Master’s dissertation should not exceed 50,000 words in length. A Doctoral thesis should not exceed 80,000 words in length.
- EGS4011S ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT
- EGS4016F CAPITAL, POLITICS AND NATURE
- EGS4021X HONOURS PROJECT IN ENVIRONMENTAL AND GEOGRAPHICAL
- EGS4034F GLOBALISATION AND THE ENVIRONMENT
- EGS4035S RISE, FALL AND RECONSTRUCTION OF THE SA CITY
- EGS4038F CLIMATE CHANGE AND PREDICTABILITY
- EGS4039F URBAN FOOD SECURITY
- EGS4040F SPECIAL TOPIC IN HUMAN/ENVIRONMENT INTERACTIONS
- EGS4041F APPROACHES AND ISSUES IN PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL
- EGS4043S LIVING WITH GLOBAL CHANGE
- EGS4047S ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY AND PRACTICE
- EGS4048S ALTERNATIVE ECONOMIES
- Applicants must have the required academic background and submit an acceptable research proposal for which supervision is available. Research degrees are encouraged where the field of research is clearly defined; the student wishes to concentrate on a specific research topic and has demonstrated the ability to do so.
- Certified copies of official academic transcripts in ENGLISH (full transcripts for each tertiary institution attended)
- Certified copies of degree certificates in ENGLISH (for each tertiary institution attended where applicable)
- Applicants from universities situated in non-English speaking countries: TOEFL/IELTS certificate OR letter from previous tertiary institution stating “English as medium of instruction” for the programme
- Curriculum vitae (include work experience)
- A recent score (obtained within 3 - 5 years before application for admission) of at least 570 (paper-based test) or 230 (computer-based test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- A recent overall band score of 7.0 (with no individual element of the test scoring below 6.0) on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- OR, noting that this may only be written at certain designated venues within South Africa, a score of at least 65% on the university's Placement Test in English for Educational Purposes (PTEEP).
- International & refugee scholarships
- Merit awards