Photos of university / #UoNMalaysia
Graduate Entry Medicine (GEM) is a four-year, fast-track programme designed to broaden access to medical careers and attract graduates (93 each year) from a wide range of professional and educational backgrounds.
Successful GEM students will graduate with degrees of Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (BMBS) from the University of Nottingham.
- The programme is in two parts: an 18-month Problem-Based Learning (PBL) Course, covering the basic and clinical sciences required for a career in medicine, early clinical experience, basic clinical skills and professional development. This takes place at the new, purpose-built medical school on the site of the Derby City General Hospital.
- 30 months of clinical training attachments (Clinical Phases 1, 2 & 3) in healthcare facilities throughout the Southern Derbyshire and mid-Trent region. GEM students merge with students on the five-year undergraduate medical programme for this part of the course.
- The Medical School was constructed almost exclusively with the GEM course in mind and so virtually all the facilities required for the GEM programme are on site and available all the time.
- Our 4-year GEM course has achieved national recognition for incorporating modern methods of teaching and learning, a strong emphasis on personal and professional development, and an outstanding clinical skills programme that combines early clinical experience in General Practice with formal training in communication and examination techniques.
- The GEM course is delivered by a highly motivated group of scientists, healthcare professionals (including nurses, pharmacists, physiotherapists, as well as GPs and hospital consultants), and educationalists.
- The course at GEM Derby is a highly integrated course. Clinical skills, workshops and lectures are designed to support and complement the learning in the weekly PBL case.
- The course places strong emphasis on student support and helping students to develop into self-directed learners who will be able to develop throughout their professional careers.
Detailed Course FactsTuition fee Not specified Start date September 2015 Duration full-time 42 months Languages Take an IELTS test
As a graduate, this course aims to give you a fast-track route into medicine.
It is split into three main components:
- A Foundation phase examining the human body and the underlying biological and clinical science, psychological, social and professional issues related to medicine. Included is early clinical experience, training in basic clinical skills and personal and professional development. The Foundation phase uses problem-based learning (PBL) as its approach, supported by a range of taught sessions including lectures and workshops.
- The 30 month full-time clinical course commences immediately after the end of the 18 month Foundation phase, giving you a core knowledge of the basic aspects of medicine and surgery. There are three distinct phases of clinical training:
- Clinical Phase 1
17 week course following completion of the foundation programme covering medicine, surgery, therapeutics and primary-secondary care interface.
- Clinical Phase 2
11 month phase starts at the end of the GEM second year and comprises four 10-week integrated rotations in child health, obstetrics & gynaecology, psychiatry, healthcare of the elderly, dermatology, ophthalmology and otorhinolaryngology.
- Clinical Phase 3
In your final year, you will undertake an Advanced Clinical Experience Course. During this time you will rotate through four 9-week attachments, Medicine; Surgery; Musculoskeletal Disorders and Disability; General Practice and Critical Care, a 4 week clinical assistantship. This is followed by a 9-week elective period and a 4-week Preparation for Foundation 1.
English Language Requirements
CAE score : 75(Grade B)
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test. More About IELTS
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Access Bursary
Bursary for UK students all subjects where the variable tuition fee rate is payable.
- Alumni Bursary
Alumni Bursary for UK Undergraduate students
* The scholarships shown on this page are suggestions first and foremost. They could be offered by other organisations than University of Nottingham.