Photos of university
The Health Services Research MSc postgraduate course at City University London provide a great stepping stone into a exciting career.
Health Services Research is an exciting, interdisciplinary field of scientific inquiry that examines how people get access to health care, how much care costs, and what happens to patients as a result of this care. Your aim as a health services researcher will be to do research and make recommendations on the most effective ways to organise, manage, commission and deliver high quality care, reduce medical errors and improve patient safety.
The MSc Health Services Research at City University London offers exemplar training in quantitative and qualitative research methods and applied data analysis to enable you to achieve the above goals. Students will gain the knowledge and confidence to independently design and conduct primary and secondary research in your place of work, which may be in the public or private sector such as the health and social care, international agencies, national NGOs, pharmaceutical companies, research institutions and consultancies etc. As a result of the practical research training that our students receive, some develop their own ideas for research and pursue further, doctoral studies with our School or elsewhere.
Who is the course for?
The Health Services Research degree is suitable for professionals from both clinical and non-clinical backgrounds including:
* medical and allied health professions
* health managers and administrators
* public health
* welfare and local government
* national NGOs
* international agencies
* research institutions and consultancies
* pharmaceutical and healthcare industries
* health insurance
The Health Services Research MSc course is suitable for those who wish to expand their knowledge of health services research to support their current or future employment. The MSc will provide a sound foundation for a fast track to MPhil / PhD in Health Services related research.
Why study Health Services Research at City?
* We have over 100 years experience in providing education to health and social care professionals
* The School of Health Sciences is centrally placed in the largest concentration of hospitals in the UK, we work with over 70% of London NHS Trusts
* Our Nursing and Midwifery submission in the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) is ranked top in London and achieved the second highest volume of 4* research in the UK
* Develop key work-relevant skills in health services research to enhance your career aspirations
* Gain the knowledge needed to undertake health research
* Learn from experts in health services research who are renowned nationally and internationally
* Study alongside a range of professionals from clinical and non-clinical backgrounds
* Learn in a flexible way choosing from a range of relevant modules.
Teaching and Assessment
Teaching and learning is undertaken via a mix of lectures, class discussions and seminars, student presentations, poster presentations, case study analysis, interactive computer based exercises, a virtual learning environment and self-directed reading.
Modules are assessed through a combination of methods. More specifically: research proposal; mini lab examination; systematic review; poster presentation; data analysis workbook; practical exam and associated lab report; formative online quiz.
During the course of your studies at City you will be part of an active academic/research community with a wide range of interests. You will be encouraged to attend discussion groups and lectures, which will guide you to gain a wealth of knowledge in the area of Health Services Research. Teaching and learning is undertaken via a mix of lectures, class discussions, seminars, student presentations, poster presentations, case study analyses, interactive computer based exercises, a virtual learning environment, guided independent learning and individual supervision. You will undertake seven taught modules, including three core modules, plus a dissertation.
Our aim is to provide you with a challenging, stimulating and free-thinking environment, which will nurture your aspirations, talent, and career prospects.
* Introduction to research methods and applied data analysis
* Advanced research methods
* Advanced data analysis
* Health systems organisation, financing and performance
* Understanding the health policy process: concepts and tools
* Health and society
* Health policy in Britain
* Health economics evaluation