Photos of university
Examination is by dissertation/thesis alone. A Master’s dissertation should not exceed 50,000 words in length. A Doctoral thesis should not exceed 80,000 words in length.
- HST4000S READING COURSE IN HISTORICAL STUDIES
- HST4011S PRE-INDUSTRIAL WESTERN CAPE ARCHAEOLOGY AND HISTORY
- HST4016S AFRICAN ENVIRONMENTAL HISTORY
- HST4026F SPECIAL TOPICS IN HISTORICAL STUDIES
- HST4032S ADDITIONAL TOPIC IN HISTORICAL STUDIES
- HST4053F DEBATES IN ECONOMIC HISTORY
- HST4054F TOPICS IN SOUTH AFRICAN ECONOMIC HISTORY
- HST4055S RACISM, COLONIALISM & GENOCIDE
- HST4056S THEMES IN EVERYDAY HISTORY
- HST4057F THEMES IN INDIAN OCEAN HISTORY
- HST4058S THEMES IN CONTEMPORARY SA RURAL HISTORY
- Applicants must have the required academic background and must submit an acceptable research proposal for which supervision is available. The research proposal should focus on a clearly defined topic, set out the research questions to be addressed and show familiarity with the appropriate sources, both primary and secondary.
- Certified copies of official academic transcripts in ENGLISH (full transcripts for each tertiary institution attended)
- Certified copies of degree certificates in ENGLISH (for each tertiary institution attended where applicable)
- Applicants from universities situated in non-English speaking countries: TOEFL/IELTS certificate OR letter from previous tertiary institution stating “English as medium of instruction” for the programme
- Curriculum vitae (include work experience)
- A recent score (obtained within 3 - 5 years before application for admission) of at least 570 (paper-based test) or 230 (computer-based test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- A recent overall band score of 7.0 (with no individual element of the test scoring below 6.0) on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- OR, noting that this may only be written at certain designated venues within South Africa, a score of at least 65% on the university's Placement Test in English for Educational Purposes (PTEEP).
- International & refugee scholarships
- Merit awards