Photos of university / #ntu_sg
The RSIS PhD Programme is a rigorous research-led programme of study that allows students to explore their subject of interest in detail under the guidance of reputable faculty. Research areas range from Strategic Studies, International Relations, Defence and Security Management to International Political Economy. This programme is suited for professionals who are looking to advance their level of expertise for further career development.
The RSIS PhD programme commenced in 2003 and about 25 candidates are presently undergoing doctoral research. The objectives are three-fold:
- Provision of high level quantitative and qualitative skills to enable students to undertake advanced PhD programmes
- Application of these skills to support policy-oriented research of practical relevance
- Creation of opportunities for students to make an original contribution to knowledge in International Political Economy, International Relations and Strategic Studies disciplines, facilitating their pursuit of academic or professional careers
- P9001 The Advanced Study of International Politics: Concepts, Methods and Research Design
- P9002 Quantitative Methods in the Study of International Politics
Any MSc course linked to the PhD Candidate’s area of specialisation.
The degree requirements for the PhD Programme are as follows:
- Pass two core PhD courses and two elective MSc courses (obtaining a minimum GPA of 2.5 in each course and a minimum TGPA of 3.5 overall)
- Pass the confirmation exercise no later than 24 months from enrolment in the programme
- The timeline applies to both full-time and part-time PhD students
- Full-time students on a scholarship are required to pass their confirmation exercise within 18 months
- Submit a final research thesis deemed satisfactory for examination by the Thesis Advisory Committee (no later than five years from the start of candidature for full-time students and seven years for part-time students)
- Pass an oral examination (Viva) on the subject matter of the thesis
The research thesis (written in English) must contain original work or critical interpretation worthy of publication. The length of the thesis should not exceed 80,000 words (including footnotes but excluding appendices, bibliography, maps, charts, statistical tables, graphs, illustrations, etc.).
- One passport-sized photograph (electronic copy, jpeg format)
- Copy of Academic Transcript(s) issued by your university (must be in English, otherwise an official English translation must also be provided).
- Copy of undergraduate degree certificate (must be in English, otherwise an official English translation must also be provided).
- Statement of Purpose: applicants should discuss the professional, academic and personal experiences which contributed to their desire to study at RSIS, their specific interest in the intended area of focus, and professional goals/objectives upon graduation (600 words).
- Essay on an issue of national/international importance: discuss an issue of national or international importance and its concern to you (600 words).
- Copy of NRIC / Passport (page showing your nationality and personal details).
- All applicants must pay a non-refundable application fee of S$21.40 per programme
- Completed scholarship application form, if applicable.
- Documentary proof of present and previous employment (with designation, dates of appointment and resignation indicated), if applicable.
- Minimum two references are required. References must be submitted by referees directly toRSISadmissions@ntu.edu.sg, using the email title: ‘Reference <candidate name>’. If any of your referees does not provide his/her report, your application will not be processed. We strongly recommend that referees use their official email address (company email address/university email address) and not personal emails such as Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, 163.com, qq.com etc, when submitting their references. We recommend that both your referees are past or current lecturers/supervisors/managers who can comment on your abilities and potential to successfully complete the program. Referees should use this Referee Report Form.
- Standardised Test Scores: test scores for TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) must be submitted by all applicants except those with undergraduate degrees from universities where English was the medium of instruction. A TOEFL Test Score of minimum 600 (paper-based), 250 (computer-based) or 100 (internet-based) or a IELTS score of minimum 7.0. are required. Test dates must be within two years or less from the date of your application
- Nanyang President Graduate Scholarship
- Singapore International Graduate Award (SINGA)
- NTU Research Scholarship