Photos of university / #edinburghuniversity
MSc by Research (Nursing) offers research training including taught courses and a dissertation. It may be taken as a stand-alone degree or as an element in progression to PhD studies. Students pursuing this degree are part of the larger community of postgraduate research students in Nursing Studies and in the School of Health in Social Science.
Distinctive features of the degree include:
* integration of discipline-specific and generic social-science research training;
* opportunities for shared learning with students from diverse disciplinary backgrounds;
* participation in the research culture in Nursing Studies and the School of Health in Social Science;
* potential for progression to PhD studies;
* individual supervision;
* choice and flexibility of courses.
Learning Outcomes Students who follow this programme should:
* have practical competence in a range of qualitative and quantitative research methods;
* understand the epistemological basis and implication of different approaches to research;
* be able to present a reasoned argument linking problem, theory and method in a research proposal.
Teaching and learning methods include lectures, seminars, practical training in data collection and analysis, and independent study. Some learning may be web-based.