For modern professions and scientific research activities, compound education is fundamental. At the core of compound education are the three principle disciplines of human knowledge: humanities, social science and natural science. Bringing these three together, the PME (Philosophy, Mathematics & Economics) major is called into life as a golden combination for compound education. What the PME offers, namely philosophy (basis for humanities research), economics (an important branch of social science) and mathematics (foundation for natural science), are precisely the essence of liberal arts education.
PME adopts a tutorial system, which gives students and teachers opportunities to develop deepened relationship based on better communication and cooperation.
Through the PME program, students can at the same time build up broad perspectives and receive top professional trainings; develop comprehensive theoretical thinking capabilities and abilities to understand, analyze and give quick evaluations to important information; step into the realm of thinking and inquiry, acquire concrete data-analytical skills and cultivate awareness of social responsibility. In general, PME aims to create leaders for the future by inspiring the gifts endowed with each student.
Economics Major (PME) , 4 years
The program allows substantial flexibility that students can enjoy to discover and explore their gifts and to tailor their own study programs.
- Courses in Economics: 90 credits
- Courses in either or both of Philosophy and Mathematics: 30 credits
The fourth school year will offer special courses that facilitate topic and research oriented teaching, led by cross-disciplinary (PM, PE or ME) problems. These courses aim to bring together different disciplines, as well as the integration of economic theories and historical realities of the Chinese society, so as to encourage students to further develop their learning in an even broader knowledge space supplemented by practical understandings.
III. Total Credits:
International students must take Survey of China and Chinese language courses
IV. Course Instruction
All instructions are conducted in English.
All the teachers have international experiences.
Chinese language courses are provided to guarantee a successful Chinese
education with the following objectives:
l International students possess ability of fluent oral expression and full comprehension of information exchanged in Chinese;
1. Design Principles
1) PME represents the three most fundamental as well as most important aspects of human thoughts and social life. Philosophy is the representation of conceptual thinking and the root of critical thinking; mathematics is the representation of symbolic thinking and the basis for forming data-analytical thinking; economics is the representation of the most human activity since the inception of political society. The PME curriculum design unites general critical thinking, data-analytical thinking and social active thinking into one integral whole, in order to give students comprehensive ability to grasp the transcendental, the analytical and the experiential.
2) In principle, the courses are designed to reflect organic links among philosophy, mathematics and economics. These three disciplines share commonalities in terms of mental exercises and training: Logic forms part of the essential basic knowledge of philosophy and is also the foundation for mathematics at the same time, whereas mathematical knowledge is indispensable and critical for applied knowledge of economics. In our curriculum design, philosophical courses give stress to the training of logic and are connected with mathematical exercises and training, with the aim to provide clear and effective mental training for the study of economics. As far as the connection between mathematics and economics are concerned, the courses emphasize in particular the effectiveness and practicality of mathematical knowledge in its role as instrument and methodology for economic studies.
3) In choosing their major in one of the three areas, students must also take into consideration of the general PME framework. No matter which subject is chosen, courses worth 30 credits in the other two areas are equally required. Students who have chosen economics as their major must accomplish at least 30 credits in either/both of Mathematics and Philosophy.
Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens between the ages of 18-30 with senior high school diploma, in good health and they must abide by Chinese laws as well as ZJU’s rules and regulations; they must also respect Chinese culture and customs.
Non-native English speakers must provide proofs of proficiency in English (TOEFL or IELTS ).
We plan to enroll 20 students, all granted with full scholarship which covers tuition fee, accommodation fee on campus, living allowance as well as medical insurance.
— Tuition fee: CNY 131,200.
— Accommodation on campus: CNY 32,000.
— International student medical insurance: CNY 3,200. (Relevant medical insurance items can be found at www.lxbx.net).
— Living allowance: CNY 64, 400 (CNY 1,400 per month for 46 months).