Photos of university / #edinburghuniversity
Our Social Anthropology group forms an international centre of excellence for postgraduate training, recognised as one of the premier research departments in the UK.
Applied research includes policy-related work on asylum seekers, non-governmental organisations, sustainable development and participatory rights. Our regional expertise is not confined to Scotland and the UK but includes Europe, Africa, the Middle East, South Asia, Southeast Asia, East Asia, and North and South America.
The PhD programme combines work on your thesis project, usually based on long-term fieldwork, with systematic training in anthropological and social research skills. Research training is also available in the form of our MSc by Research.
The Graduate School provides a suite of ESRC-recognised research training courses for social science students across the University. We are developing an exciting package of flexible web-based training courses in line with the increased emphasis on ongoing training throughout the course of doctoral studies.
Particular research strengths include:
- law and justice
- politics, governance and the state
- nationalism and citizenship
- war, violence and displacement
- medicine and health
- science and technology studies
- history and theory of anthropology
- development and environment
- kinship and relatedness
- death and the limits of the body
- material culture, identity and memory
- contemporary hunter-gatherers
- linguistic anthropology
- urban anthropology
- anthropology of landscape
- A UK 2:1 honours degree or its international equivalent, and a UK masters degree with an overall mark of 65% or its international equivalent.
- IELTS: total 7.0 (at least 6.0 in each module)
- TOEFL-iBT: total 100 (at least 20 in each module)
- PTE(A): total 67 (at least 56 in each of the "Communicative Skills" sections)
- CAE and CPE: total 185 (at least 169 in each module)
- Trinity ISE: ISE III with a pass in all four components
- ESRC 1+3 or +3 Studentships
- Research scholarships for international students
- Principal's Career Development PhD Scholarships