Photos of university / #ubridgeport
Students interested in political science have the option of pursuing the B.A. in International Political Economy & Diplomacy or the B.A. in Social Science/Political Science Track. Political Economy and Diplomacy represent two of the important areas of concentration within Political Science. The B.A. in International Political Economy & Diplomacy is especially designed for students interested in working in areas such as the foreign service, with an international organization or with a non-governmental organization (NGO). The B.A. in Social Science/Political Science track has a more general focus and students may easily transfer between either of the majors during the first two years of study in the College of Public and International Affairs.
Students choosing the Political Science Track within the B.A. in Social Science may take up to one third of their courses in Political Science. They are required to take a minimum of 24 credits in political science which include the six semesters hours needed to fulfill the B.A. in Social Science requirement as well as 18 semester.
Careers in Social Sciences
Career opportunities traditionally available to liberal arts students are much enhanced by the flexibility that the Social Science major permits. In its interdisciplinary approach, its emphasis on breadth as well as depth of learning, and its focus on practical skills, this program prepares students for leadership roles in their communities and the world, and for self-fulfillment and success in their careers. Career tracks:
- Non Government Organization
- Civil Service
- Law Enforcement
- Risk Analyst
- Law Office Assistant
- Community Planner
- Market Researcher
- Human Resource Director
The learning outcomes for the Social Science Program are as follows:
* Note for all International College majors, a portfolio is collected to track progress in programmatic outcomes
Detailed Course FactsApplication deadline July 1 is the last date to apply for the Fall Semester which begins late August/early September;November 1 is the last date to apply for the Spring Semester which begins mid-January Tuition fee
- USD 30965 Year (National)
- USD 30965 Year (International)
Duration full-time 48 months Languages Take an IELTS test
- Economics 6
- History 6
- Psychology 6
- Sociology 6
- SOSC 395 Thesis 3
- SOSC 300 Methods Seminar 3
- Total Major Semester Hrs 36
Concentration in Political Science (18 Semester Hours from the following)
- PSCI 101 American Government 3
- PSCI 103 Intro to Political Science and Political Science Research Methods 3
- PSCI 204 Government and Politics Abroad 3
- PSCI 206 Political Economy of North South Relations 3
- PSCI 207 World Politics 3
- SOSC 207 World Regional Geography 3
- PSCI 209 Introduction to United Nations Studies 3
- PSCI 305 International Relations 3
Additional PSCI courses may be approved by the Political Science advisor
- 12 Total Credits
- 12 Total Credits
General Education Requirements
12 Total Credits
- FYS 101 First Year Seminar 3
- ENGL 101 Composition & Rhetoric 3
- MATH 105 Intermediate Algebra 3
- Humanities HU 6
- Natural Science NS 6
- Social Science SS 6
- Fine Arts FA 3
- CAPS 390 Capstone Seminar 3
- Liberal Arts Electives 9
Total Semester Hrs: 120
English Language Requirements
IELTS band : 6 TOEFL paper-based test score : 500 TOEFL iBT® test : 61
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test.
You can demonstrate proof of English Language competency by meeting any one of the criteria listed below:
1. A letter certifying completion of level 6 at the Universitys English Language Institute (ELI).
Attainment of a satisfactory score on the University of Bridgeports English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB).
2. A minimum TOEFL score of 500 (PBT), 173 (CBT), or 61 (IBT) for undergraduates and a minimum score of 550 (PBT), 213 (CBT), or 80 (IBT) for graduates (post-graduates).
3. A minimum IELTS (Cambridge Testing) Band score of 6.0 for Undergraduates and a minimum Band score of 6.5 for graduates (post-graduates).
4. A transcript from an accredited American university indicating a grade of C or better in one semester of college English Composition.
5. Critical Reading SAT score of 400 or above; or ACT English score of 19 or above.
6.An official letter certifying completion of ELS (English Language Service) through level 112.
7.An official letter certifying completion of CSE (The Center for English Studies) through level 7.5.
8. A Michigan English Assessment Battery (MELAB) score of 69 or above for undergraduates and score of 77 or above for graduates.
9. A Prueba de Aptitud Academica (PAA) English achievement score of 500 or above.
10. A level of Advanced on the English Language Proficiency Test of the College Board.
11. An official O level or A level Certificate indicating a grade of C or better in English.
12. An EIKEN score of Grade 2A or above for undergraduates and a score of Grade Pre-1 or above for graduates.
13. A score of 4 or better on the English A Higher Level examination in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program.
14. WAEC, WASSE, CXC, etc. Score of C or better on English Language exam.
15. A minimum Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) score of 44 for undergraduates and a minimum PTE Academic score of 53 for graduates (post-graduates).
You must demonstrate English language competency in one of the ways listed above. If you dont demonstrate English language competency in one of these ways prior to registration, you will be given the University English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB) test upon arrival. If you pass at a satisfactory level, you may begin classes.
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Alumni Study Travel Fund
Scholarships for students who are already attending the University of Reading.
- Amsterdam Merit Scholarships
The University of Amsterdam aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its international classrooms. Outstanding students from outside the European Economic Area can apply for an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship.