The school offers a BA with a major in social work, which is a professional degree program that prepares graduates for beginning social work practice. It is offered through Rutgers' Camden College of Arts and Sciences and through the School of Arts and Science in New Brunswick/Piscataway.
The major in social work is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. Students who successfully complete the program receive a bachelor of arts degree from the School of Arts and Sciences. The program prepares students for beginning-level generalist social work practice. The focus for practice addresses work with special populations including the poor, the oppressed, and other at-risk groups.Participants are expected to acquire the knowledge base, professional ethics, values, and skills to work effectively within individual, family, group, organizational, and community levels of practice. The program also prepares students for graduate study in social work and related fields.
Detailed Course FactsApplication deadline February, October Tuition fee
- USD 13683 Year (National)
- USD 27978 Year (International)
Duration full-time 36 months Languages Take an IELTS test
Course ContentStudents are admitted to the major at the beginning of their junior year, after having completed approximately 60 credits of coursework. Students should plan to apply to the major early in the spring semester of their sophomore year. A cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 is required for acceptance into the program. Inquiries and applications should be directed to the Director, Baccalaureate Social Work Program, School of Social Work.
Following acceptance into the program, all social work majors are assigned a faculty adviser within the School of Social Work. To continue in this major, students must maintain a 3.0 grade-point average in social work courses. In order to graduate, students must have grades of C or better with a cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 in all social work core-content courses and a 2.0 cumulative grade-point average in the courses making up the liberal arts foundation.
English Language Requirements
IELTS band : 6.5 TOEFL paper-based test score : 550 TOEFL iBT® test : 79
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test. More About IELTS
RequirementsIn order to be considered for admission, applicants to the Undergraduate School of Social Work must have completed the following:
- First two years of their bachelor's degree with at least a 3.0 GPA.
- Students are admitted to the major at the beginning of their junior year, after completing ALL of the University's General Education Requirements (60 credits, including Math, Foreign Language, etc.).
- Completed the pre-requisites for the Social Work major: Human Biology or Facts of Life (Camden), Basic Psychology, Statistics for Social Science or Elementary Applied Statistics, Introduction to Sociology
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Alumni Study Travel Fund
Scholarships for students who are already attending the University of Reading.
- Amsterdam Merit Scholarships
The University of Amsterdam aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its international classrooms. Outstanding students from outside the European Economic Area can apply for an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship.
* The scholarships shown on this page are suggestions first and foremost. They could be offered by other organisations than Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey.
Rutgers uses your FAFSA to develop a financial-aid package based on your qualifications, financial need and the funds available to the university. Your package may include any or a combination of these major financial aid sources:
- Gift aid does not require repayment and is divided into three categories: grants (which recognize financial need) and scholarships and awards (which recognize academic merit, special talents, or other achievements).
- Loans must be repaid (usually after graduation) and can come from private lenders as well as federal, state and university sources.
- Work-study allows students to earn money for college expenses while gaining valuable skills - often in their intended field.
The Rutgers name is recognized everywhere, and a Rutgers degree makes a great first impression. Weve built our academic reputation on solid accomplishments:
- Rutgers is a memberso are Harvard, Yale, and Berkeleyof the prestigious Association of American Universities, the 61 leading research universities in North America.
- More than 175 Rutgers research centers support pioneering work in stem cells, climate change, DNA analysis, and more.
- Rutgers international reputation draws top students from more than 130 countries and all 50 states.