Photos of university
Hokkaido University was founded in 1876 as Sapporo Agricultural College, the first higher educational institution for agricultural sciences in Japan. The university consists of twelve undergraduate schools, eighteen graduate schools, and twenty-seven research institutes and centers, with 4,000 faculty members, and administrative and technical members, 11,000 undergraduate students, 6,000 graduate students as well as 1,500 international students from 80 countries (all approximate numbers for personnel and students).
From 2007 the Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine at Hokkaido University and the Research Center for Zoonosis Control introduced a special program designed for foreign students who wish to study veterinary science in Hokkaido. This special program provides all of course works including lectures and practical subjects as well as laboratory activities in English. The Program aims to serve an opportunity for overseas students to study higher standard of all fields of veterinary medical science at Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine/Graduate School of Infectious Diseases, and expects all graduates to be leaders and experts who will be in part to work at the forefront of veterinary medical science in their respective home countries for animal health and global environment.
- Almost all the lectures, research works and thesis writing will be conducted in English. As an optional, Japanese-language training is also provided for students for their adaptation of Japanese society and better understanding for Japanese culture especially on their unique disciplines.
- Students will be expected to write a thesis based on their own research results conducted during the course and to submit this thesis to multiple examiners (one principal supervisor and three or more adjunct supervisors) in this special program on Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine/Graduate School of Infectious Diseases, Hokkaido University for evaluation. Doctoral degree equivalent Ph. D. (Veterinary Medicine)/Ph. D. (Infectious Diseases) will be awarded if he/she has completed their course works with satisfactory academic performance and essential requirements. Submitted thesis will be evaluated its contents and quality by the examiners through their inspection and oral defense by applicants before approval. Submission of a doctoral thesis is allowed only after the student has published two scientific papers as a first author in peer-reviewed international scientific journals in fields of interests.
- Students must finish their thesis within four years starting from October, 2017.
- Checklist for The International Priority Graduate Programs (PGP)
- Application form: format "A"
- Japanese Government Scholarship form: format "B " (Two sided printing is required)
- Research proposal: format "C" (Two sided printing is required)
- Medical certificate officially issued by medical professionals in the latest six months before submission in format "D"
- Certified photocopy of Bachelor's and/or Master's degree, certificate, or original copy of the graduation certificate letter from the university in which indicates or promising the expected graduation date
- All past official academic transcripts for undergraduate and/or postgraduate studies in the university
- English proficiency: Submit a certification of national English proficiency test taken such as TOEFL (highly recommended), or a certificate issued by an English teaching staff of university from which you graduated using format "E". Applicants who are from native English spoken countries or countries using English as official language are not required to be certified.
- Certificate of citizenship or proof of residence in the applicant's home country, i.e., a copy of family register, passport, or other positive proof of citizenship
- Two letters of recommendation to the President of Hokkaido University (Prof. Dr. Keizo Yamaguchi), one by the Dean or Head of the institution/employing body, the other by the applicant's supervising professor, or other teaching staff who could certify the applicant’s ability, or from a supervisor in the employing body who has knowledge of the applicant.
- Two photos (3 x 2.5 and 4 x 3.5 cm) taken in last six months, upper front figure of the applicant without a hat/cap should be supplied in an envelope. On the reverse side of each photo, name and nationality of the applicants should be indicated.
- Summary of Bachelor’s and/or Master’s thesis, consisting of less than 2,000 words, should be submitted if applicable. ＊Entrance examination fee will be exempted.
- Japanese government MEXT scholarship