Photos of university
The specialisation in Television Production is an integrated two-year full-time degree specialisation by coursework and research. The first year consists of the BA (Honours) specialising in Television Drama in the Centre for Film and Media Studies. The second year consists of the MA specialising in Television Production in the Drama Department. The specialisation is concerned with the integration of theory and practice: theory is embedded in practice, practice informed by theory. Moreover, the coursework is intended to equip director/writers for television production, with particular emphasis on dramatic genres, as well as exposing them to a range of production skills so as to make them employable in the television production industry. Both the coursework and the research provide a base for further specialised study, developing research skills and a sense of inquiry to contribute to theorized practice in the area of study. The specialisation emphasises full time, professionally and artistically orientated study with a a strong research focus.
Year 1: BAHons specialising in Television Drama
Compulsory (core) courses:
- DRM4019S Multi-Camera TV Drama
- DRM4038F Video Production
- FAM4001W Research Essay
- FAM4017F Advanced Television Analysis
- FAM4033F Screenwriting
Year 2: MA specialising in Television Production
Compulsory (core) courses:
- DRM5018W Research Project
- DRM5019W Adaptation
- DRM5020W Directing Actors (Screen)
- DRM5021W Pre-production
- DRM5022W Scriptwriting
BAHons specialising in Television Drama
- Completion of BA in Film and Media, or
- Completion of a first degree with appropriate courses (i.e. film and media related courses) in Historical Studies, Anthropology, English, Fine Art, Drama, Modern and Classical Languages, Southern African languages.
- Students transferring from other universities and/or who do not have some background in Film and Media may apply to the Convener. The programme committee will consider such applications on an individual basis for their suitability to the programme. Students may be required to do an intensive short production course as a condition of entry.
MA specialising in Television Production
- Completion of BA Honours specialising in Television Drama at UCT with a final mark of 68% or more.
- Students who do not meet this requirement may be admitted at the discretion of the Head of Department.
- A portfolio of recent work that provides evidence of ability to undertake both the creative and theoretical aspects of the course.
- Availability of a suitable supervisor and availability of technical equipment and resources.
- International & refugee scholarships
- Merit awards