Photos of university / #qataruniversity
The Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering is offered for the first time in Fall 2011. The mission of the doctoral program in the College of Engineering is to provide students with intensive advanced training in research that leads to the highest level of scholarly achievement, and enable them to conduct research independently to address new challenges as innovators. The PhD program is highly research-intensive.
The PhD program is designed to enhance students' competencies in contributing to the existing body of knowledge, innovation and creation of new knowledge and techniques. Students are expected to equip themselves with strong theoretical and methodological foundations and to develop their ability to conduct research independently.
The total credit hours for the program is 60 credits. Students enrolled in the program are required to complete a minimum of 6 credit hours of coursework and 54 credit hours of research work. A typical duration of the program is six semesters (three years) and the maximum duration is twelve semesters (six years). The program currently caters only for full time students.
The program offers concentration on the following fields:
- Urban Planning
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science
- Computer Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Engineering Management
- Environmental Engineering
- Material Science and Engineering
Graduates of the doctoral program will be able to fulfill most of the following educational objectives:
- Foster Innovation of new ideas, methods and techniques in science and engineering.
- Contribute to the advancement of scientific body of knowledge in engineering and related fields.
- Lead research and to express the results in scientific forums.
By the time a student completes all requirements of the program, the student will have achieved the following learning outcomes:
- Able to systematically review, analyze, assimilate and interpret the body of scientific literature and innovations in their discipline area,
- Apply and validate innovations and discoveries in the lab or real world settings in more efficient and effective ways,
- Produce high quality research, and
- Disseminate effectively the research output in reputable international journals, conferences, patents, research proposals and other scientific venues.
All applicants to the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Engineering programs who meet the following minimum criteria will be considered for admission to Qatar University:
- Completed a Master’s degree in a related field - GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0 for Masters degree work from a university or college accredited by an international accrediting association or by the Ministry of Higher Education or equivalent in that country.
- Achieved a minimum score of 520 on the paper-based TOEFL or equivalent test taken within 2 years of the start of the intended semester of admission.
- An acceptable score on the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GRE) is required. The test must be taken within two (2) years of the start of the intended semester of admission.
- Passing an interview with the College's admission panel.