This Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree completion program with a concentration in Graphic Design gives students the opportunity to develop an understanding of the creative development process including aspects such as design development, typography, art direction, computer design and portfolio development. Coursework is structured to assist students in the development of their goals as they acquire the knowledge and skills common to graphic design professionals.
For artistic, imaginative students, the field of graphic design can be exciting and rewarding. The goal of the BFA with a concentration in Graphic Design is to place an emphasis on creative thinking and the ability to solve design problems creatively.
In this industry-focused curriculum, students can build on their knowledge of the graphic design process and expand their skills. The program includes taking on an extended project where they can concentrate on a personally focused design interest and develop senior level design thinking.
The AIU BFA with a concentration in Graphic Design challenges students to translate ideas and concepts into structural order and visual form. In this curriculum, students can learn how to:
- Develop a depth of knowledge and understanding in design strategies and methodologies.
- Apply cultural and contextual perspective to solving complex design problems.
- Use contemporary skills and technologies to create, analyze and evaluate the relevance of their work within the industry.
- Apply relevant research methodologies to practical and theoretical work.
- Apply a selective, critically analytic approach to visual problem solving using creativity and originality towards innovative expression in design.
- Develop appropriate skill in creating presentations and communications within a range of contexts.
- Build responsible self-management skills throughout the design process to production, using a range of relevant clear communication skills within a variety of contexts.
- and many more industry-related skills.
Detailed Course FactsTuition fee
- EUR 14220 Year (EEA)
- EUR 14520 Year (Non-EEA)
13.5 credit (3 classes, 1 quarter) £4170 Home students and £4260 Non-home studentsStart date January,March,July,October 2015 Duration full-time 36 months Languages Take an IELTS test
In addition to the general education requirements, this BFA with a concentration in Graphic Design includes the following courses, taught by instructors who have relevant career experience in the graphic design industry. The experiences and firsthand perspectives they share in class can help prepare you for real-life challenges after you graduate.
- Design Principles
- Fundamentals of Color
- Computer Design I
- Drawing Concepts
- Art Direction
- Design Development I
- Business Practices in Visual Communication
- Typography Design I
- Advanced Graphic Design I
- Typography Design II
- Advanced Graphic Design II
- Typography Design III
UK requirements for international applications
Universities in the United Kingdom use a centralized system of undergraduate application: University and College Admissions Service (UCAS). It is used by both domestic and international students. Students have to register on the UCAS website before applying to the university. They will find all the necessary information about the application process on this website. Some graduate courses also require registration on this website, but in most cases students have to apply directly to the university. Some universities also accept undergraduate application through Common App (the information about it could be found on universities' websites).
Both undergraduate and graduate students may receive three types of responses from the university. The first one, “unconditional offer” means that you already reached all requirements and may be admitted to the university. The second one, “conditional offer” makes your admission possible if you fulfill some criteria – for example, have good grades on final exams. The third one, “unsuccessful application” means that you, unfortunately, could not be admitted to the university of you choice.
All universities require personal statement, which should include the reasons to study in the UK and the information about personal and professional goals of the student and a transcript, which includes grades received in high school or in the previous university.
English Language Requirements
IELTS band : 5.5 CAE score : 60(Grade C) TOEFL paper-based test score : 500 TOEFL iBT® test : 61
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test. More About IELTS
To be considered for admission, first-time students and transfer applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- Submit a complete application for admission.
- For prospective students who reside in North or South America or the Caribbean Region and who are applying through the AIU Admissions Office located in Hoffman Estates, Illinois, an application fee of US $50 is required. For other international applicants who reside outside these regions and who apply through the Admissions Office in London, an application fee of GB£35 is required.
- Submit attestation of high school graduation or its equivalent.
- Participate in an admission interview arranged by an AIU Admission Advisor.
- Non-native English-speaking prospective students are required to provide proof of English proficiency (e.g., TOEFL, IELTS or other approved English-proficiency assessment) prior to admission or upon arrival in London. Applicants should consult an AIU London Admissions Advisor for full details and English-proficiency requirements before applying to AIU London.
English Proficiency and English as a Second Language
Prospective students whose first language is not English are required to provide proof of English proficiency prior to admission. Accepted methods for the demonstration of English proficiency at AIU include but are not limited to:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score (on the paper test) of 500 or higher
- TOEFL score (on the computerbased test) of 173 or higher
- TOEFL score (on the internetbased test) of 61 or higher
- Advanced Placement International English Language (APIEL) score of 3 or higher
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 5.5 or higher
- Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) score of 73 or higher
- University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate Certificate of Advanced English (UCLES CAE) grade of A, B or C
- University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate Certificate of Proficiency in English (UCLES CPE) grade of A, B or C
- British GCSE/Ordinary (O) orAdvanced (A and AS) Level examinations in the Subject of English grade of A, B or C
- Successful completion of acollege-level English course (agrade of C or better) taken at anaccredited, English speaking postsecondary institution
- Graduation from an Englishspeaking secondary institution
- ESL instruction based onUniversity evaluation
- Level 109 or higher on the ESLLanguage Centers
- Level 107 or higher EF Language
- Centerso Alternative measures of Englishproficiency may be determined with Academic approval.
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Access Bursary
Bursary for UK students all subjects where the variable tuition fee rate is payable.
- Alumni Bursary
Alumni Bursary for UK Undergraduate students
* The scholarships shown on this page are suggestions first and foremost. They could be offered by other organisations than American InterContinental University. StudyPortals cannot guarantee that the scholarships apply to this university.
AIU offers several scholarship and grants options. For more information see the link section "financial aid" and their catalogue.