For practising lawyers, regulators, academics or if you have a specific need for knowledge in this area. Modules: UK Copyright Law I; UK Copyright Law II & US Copyright Law; French & German Copyright Law; EU & International Copyright Law.
* Gives an in-depth insight into the general principles and practice of copyright law.
* Programme materials written by experts in the field.
* Can be studied anywhere in the world by distance learning.
* Located in the heart of legal London
For practising lawyers, regulators, academics and those with a specific need for knowledge of EU Copyright and related law. To provide a general understanding of the substantive rules of EU law concerning copyright and related matters and the relation between domestic copyright protection and EU law.
The following topics are included in the syllabus (not every topic will be offered each year):
* The law of copyright in the general context of intellectual property.
* General introduction to the principles of copyright law both in copyright and continental systems.
* Copyright in its national, regional and international context (including Copyright Conventions and the TRIPS Agreement).
* The work of the European Commission in its Copyright Harmonisation Programme.
* The subject matter of copyright and related rights.
* Authorship and ownership (including the position regarding employees).
* Duration of copyright; exclusive rights.
* Parallel imports.
* Civil and criminal remedies.
* Dealings with copyright.
* Moral rights.
* Performers' rights.
* Copyright and designs.
* Copyright, competition and Community law.
* UK and US law in detail and French and German law in outline.
* Research methods.
* Distance learning with two/three weekend seminars in central London
Core programme content
* Historical Background and General Principles;
* UK Copyright Law;
* Subject Matter;
* Protection Criteria;
* Economic Rights.
* Limitations and Exceptions;
* United States Copyright Law;
* Limitations and Exceptions.
* General Outline of French and German Laws on Author's Rights and Related Rights;
* Law of the European Union;
* Rental/Lending and Related Rights Directive;
* Computer Programme Directive;
* Current Issues and International Harmonisation.
FORMAT AND ASSESSMENT
Compulsory assignments and examination for the Postgraduate Diploma. MA: dissertation.
CPD accredited by Solicitors Regulation Authority and the Bar Standards Board.