Photos of university / #solentuniofficial
With strong ties to the global industry and race-winning designers among its graduates, this modern course builds on our internationally renowned yacht and powercraft design degree and delivers the professional skills and technical knowledge youll need to launch a great career.
Youll study the engineering science underlying great design, along with the fundamental principles of naval architecture, construction methods and materials. The course has a strong practical emphasis, focusing on hands-on examples, design applications and workshop experience in production methods and materials.
Youll also study planning and management processes for the efficient, effective production of racing sailing yachts, RIBs, motor yachts, cruising yachts, patrol boats and commercial craft.
Don't just take our word for it...
- A unique course delivered in a prime industry location
- Strong links to the yacht industry
- Full industry-standard CAD and drawing office
- Fully equipped specialist composite workshop
- Emphasis on practical design and production
- Solent University is now a PRINCE2 accredited provider, and students can choose to undertake this internationally recognised project management course during their study
- You have an opportunity to join the champion sailing team.
As a graduate youll be well placed for careers in leading yacht design offices and yacht production yards, naval architects, equipment design, project management and classification societies.
Suitable roles for graduates include:
- Yacht design
- Positions in naval architects' offices
- Technical management of new construction
- Design and production engineering
- Project management
- Marine equipment design and manufacture
Links with industry
The courses international reputation for yacht and small craft design is founded on many years of excellence, and on the highly qualified course teams strong links to industry and ongoing work in consultancy and design.
Youll benefit from a full programme of RINA Southern Joint Branch lectures, as well as guest speakers from industry companies such as Nigel Gee BMT, Babcock Engineering and Structural Polymers.
Youll be encouraged to attend local boat shows, including the Southampton International Boat Show and Seaworks International. We also organise yard visits, with recent trips including Sunseeker International and Solent Refit.
Creative thinking, problem-solving, teamwork, project management and production skills are developed throughout the course, particularly in the case study and small group workshops.
Examples of employment obtained by recent graduates
The course maintains close links with previous graduates, some of whom have gone on to work as:
- Naval architect, Laurent Giles Naval Architects Ltd, UK
- Design engineer, Sunseeker Yachts, UK
- Designer, Humphries Yacht Design Ltd, UK
- Design engineer, Monaco Marine, France
- Naval architect, Viareggio Shipyards, Italy.
Detailed Course FactsApplication deadline January 15 Tuition fee
- GBP 9000 Year (EEA)
- GBP 11475 Year (Non-EEA)
- Computer Aided Design
- Naval Architecture
- Marine Materials
- Marine Production
- Marine Structures
- Marine Systems.
- Computer Aided Modelling
- Performance Prediction and Analysis
- Sailing Yacht Design
- Motor Boat Design
- One option from:
- Marine Systems Technology
- Curriculum Plus.
- Computer Aided Yacht Engineering
- Structural design for Production
- Advanced Performance Prediction
- Marine Production Management
- Marine Industry Work-Based Learning.
(Our courses are regularly reviewed so the final module list may be slightly different from the one shown here.)
Teaching, learning and assessment
Lectures, tutorials and case study work are supported by a high degree of practical design work in the CAD office, demonstration laboratories and FRP workshops. Where possible, visits to boatyards, builders and marine equipment suppliers are arranged.
There is an optional work-based learning unit in the final year, and youll be encouraged to develop practical hands-on experience wherever possible. Many local boat builders are willing to give Solent students short work experience places, and the course team has close links with larger employers (such as Sunseeker) who frequently offer summer work experience positions to second-year students.
Past students have also had the opportunity to gain experience at large marine events such as Seawork 2013.
Most units are assessed by coursework, portfolios or timed assignments.
Solents leading facilities include a 60-metre commercial-standard towing test tank, and a static four-metre stability tank. Youll also have access to our composite construction workshop, yacht drawing office and modern CAD office.
You'll have the opportunity to spend between three months and a year of your course studying abroad at one of our EU partner universities, as part of the Erasmus programme.
If you're a non-UK student studying at an EU university, the Erasmus programme gives you the chance to come to the UK and study yacht design and production units at Solent for between three months and a full academic year.
Solents virtual learning environment provides quick online access to assignments, lecture notes, suggested reading and other course information.
Meet the Team
The course is delivered by a team of specialist naval architects, yacht designers and production designers, supported by Computer Aided Design (CAD)/drawing office instructors and Fibre Reinforced Plastic (FRP) workshop instructors. All team members come from the yacht and small craft industry and maintain their close links through consultancy, design practice and professional bodies.
English Language Requirements
IELTS band : 6 TOEFL iBT® test : 80
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test. More About IELTS
- 240 points from three A-levels including a numeracy based A-level
- Qualifications equivalent to the above may also be considered
- Entry to year two may be offered to applicants holding an HND in an appropriate subject
- Alternative entry to this course is available through the Technology Foundation Year and International Foundation Year.
English language requirements
Applicants who do not have English as their first language will be required to demonstrate an approved level of proficiency in the use of the English language. The agreed minimum requirements for this course are:
- IELTS minimum 6.0 (5.5 in writing)
- TOEF IBT 80 (19 in writing)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic 56 (51 in writing)
- or equivalent.
Qualifications are checked before enrolment and international students must bring their original certificates or certified copies, when coming to study at the university.
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Access Bursary
Bursary for UK students all subjects where the variable tuition fee rate is payable.
- Alumni Bursary
Alumni Bursary for UK Undergraduate students
* The scholarships shown on this page are suggestions first and foremost. They could be offered by other organisations than Southampton Solent University.
National Scholarship Programme
The primary purpose of our National Scholarship Programme is to benefit individual students that come from disadvantaged backgrounds as they enter higher education. This scheme is available to new home and EU under graduate students starting a programme of study with us in 2014-15, who have no previous experience of studying for an undergraduate award and whose tuition fees are over £6,000 for the year. To be eligible to be considered for a National Scholarship, applicants will need to meet both the Government national eligibility criteria and the additional University eligibility criteria, as detailed below.
Government national eligibility criteria:
- Students will need to have a declared household income of £25,000 or less.
University eligibility criteria will include one or more of the following:
- Enrolment on an undergraduate degree programme, foundation level of an undergraduate degree programme, HNC or other equivalent course
- Home address (this is your address prior to joining university) within a low participation neighbourhood
- Being in the care of a local authority for a minimum of 52 consecutive weeks immediately prior to beginning a programme of study at the University, and aged 24 or under.
Please see further information about the National Scholarship Programme here: http://www.solent.ac.uk/student-life/welfare/funding/undergraduate-funding/national-scholarship-programme.aspx
High Performance Academy Scholarship
Sport Solent and Southampton Solent University have developed the High Performance Academy (HPA) to help students who are studying at the University, whilst competing on the national and international stage. The programme provides financial and mentoring support to assist athletes in reaching their sporting potential whilst pursuing higher education.
Minimum requirements for entry on the Sport Solent High Performance Academy
Full-time or part-time undergraduate, or post-graduate student
Applicants must have an outstanding ability in a particular sport
Applicants must compete at a semi-professional level or show strong evidence of the potential to do so
The High Performance Academy programme offers different levels of support to student athletes based on their sporting talent and potential. There are three categories that a successful applicant can fall under:
- Performance squad
- Development squad
- High Performance squad
How to apply
To apply, please fill out the application form below and email it back to the High Performance Academy
Scholarships for oversears students
International Scholarships Scheme 2014
We are pleased to offer some scholarships to students applying from overseas.
Who can apply?
You can apply if:
you are applying for a full-time course at Southampton Solent University for 2014 entry, and
you are from one of the following areas: Africa, Bangladesh, Japan, North and South America, India, Pakistan, South Korea, Turkey and you are not currently studying or residing in the UK, and you are a self-funded, full fee student (not applicable to Erasmus/Study Abroad students).
How do I apply?
Simply complete the Overseas Scholarships Application form and return it to our International Office, once you have received an offer from us.
The scholarship form is accessible at:
What will happen next?
You will need to accept our unconditional offer and pay the required deposit.
We will then send you the Scholarship Award of £1,000 towards your tuition fee payment for your first year of study.
Sport Solent continues to provide and support top level athletes that strive for academic success alongside their sporting careers. Southampton Solent University offers the opportunity for selected athletes to access a sporting scholarship in many disciplines.
Please note: the Sport Solent scholarship is available for athletes who excel in basketball and cricket.
If you compete at a national and/or international level in another sport, and want to get financial support and mentoring from Southampton Solent University, you can apply for the High Performance Academy|.
The Sport Solent scholarship
Academic fees are covered at 100% or 50% by the university for each successful applicant:
Scholarship fees Undergraduate Postgraduate
Year 1: 100% Year 1: 100%
Year 2: 50% Year 2: 50%
Year 3: 50% N/A
- Personal mentor
- One-to-one strength and conditioning training
- Free use of Sport Solent facilities
- Free membership to Team Solent sports clubs, providing sports insurance
- High performance support workshops and lectures
- Additional funding to compete in international sporting events
- Flexible timetables
- Physiotherapy treatments.
Applicants must fill out the registration form and email to email@example.com. The registration form can be accessible through the link below: