The American Graduate School of Business (AGSB) is a non-profit, private institution of higher education offering graduate and undergraduate programs in the study of business. Historically AGSB has always had a strong international representation among its students and faculty. Combining the traditions and setting of the finest Swiss schools, AGSB has made a commitment to become a world class institution.
- The result of this commitment is evidenced in our three student learning goals for all graduates:An AGSB alumnus will be a valuable contributor to any business because of the general knowledge in the functional areas of management gained through their course of study and the ability to solve problems by supplementing his/her business knowledge when required.
- An AGSB alumnus will be recognized in any business because he/she demonstrates skill and competency in using tools for analytical problem solving and complex decision making encountered in general management.
- An AGSB alumnus will have improved his/her personal skills as a communicator and a leader in all business circumstances. He/she will be able to appreciate to the value of differing points-of-view, as well as being able to make reasoned judgements that are logical and supported.
AGSB, American Graduate School of Business/The Institute of Undergraduate Business Studies was established in September 1991 as a non-profit, private institution of higher education. Subsequent to the discontinuation of the American College of Switzerland (ACS) in Leysin (as an aside, let it be stated that the defunct American College of Switzerland was accredited by the regional body, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools), four faculty members of this former institution proceeded to create an American-based institution. Underlying factors such as (1) the continuing American presence following World War II (2) the demand for specialized, private educational institutions and (3) the prominent role of Switzerland in the finance, private educational institutions and (4) the prominent role of Switzerland in the finance and economic arena supported the decision to focus and limit the academic offerings associated with a School of Business. Moreover, the founders recognized the needs of the existing student population of ACS and the educative demand of an American-paradigm offering undergraduate and graduate programs in business with a special emphasis on the international marketplace and foreign language training.
In 1991, AGSB officially opened its doors housed within the facilities of the Hôtel Excelsior, Montreux. In 1992, the school moved to its immediate preceding location, Place des Anciens-Fossés 6, La Tour-de-Peilz. In Fall 2016, on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of its founding, AGSB expanded into its current facilities, located at Chemin du Levant in La Tour-de-Peilz. Nestled between the lakeside resort communities of Montreux and Vevey, in the heart of the Swiss Riviera, AGSB is able to augment its academic curricula via cultural learning activities such as music festivals, art exhibitions and travel possibilities. Also, students have availed the opportunity to observe and become involved in the world of international relations (e.g. United Nations, World Trade Organization, the International Labor Organization, World Health Organization). The nature of the institution allows students to pursue a U.S.-based education while taking advantage of the multi-lingual Swiss environment and the cultural benefits of studying in the center of Europe.
The University will consider all completed applications and will contact applicants within a reasonable period, as soon as a decision has been made. Admission to AGSB is, however, subject to a limited number of enrolments; it is, therefore, possible that not all qualified applicants are always accepted. In such instances, the University accepts those with the strongest qualifications and potential. This decision is carefully considered by the AGSB student selection board. All potential applicants must demonstrate an excellent academic record was singling their potential for success in a given field of study and complete the following AGSB admission procedures. This includes submitting a completed student application form. Please note, only completed applications will be considered. A complete application consists of the following four (4) parts as described below:
- General requirements
- Personal letter of motivation
- Evidence of English language proficiency
- Program requirements
The general requirements for all applicants include a completed application form and payable fees in addition to the documents listed below. The applicant should ensure that these documents are sent to the university in good time before a course of study begins.
- Application Form: Applicants must submit a completed and signed application form.
- Application Fee: Payment can be made by bank transfer into the AGSB bank account at the Crédit Suisse. Please be sure that your name is included on the bank transfer notice.
- Passport: Copy of your valid passport.
- Photographs: Six (6) passport size photographs must be included with the application form that is submitted to AGSB. Most of these photographs are required by the local authorities and for student visas.
- Recommendations: Two (2) confidential letters of recommendation from instructors or employers who are familiar with the applicant’s past performance must be sent directly to AGSB. Certified translations must also be submitted for all letters not in English.
- Résumé or CV: A brief written account of the applicant’s strengths and accomplishments. Include personal details, education, work experience, other qualifications and career expectations.
- Transcripts: Applicants must submit official transcripts for all applicable academic work done at the secondary or university-level institutions in the past five (5) years. Transcripts must be sent directly by the institutions to AGSB. Certified translations must also be submitted for all documents not in English.
An application must include all of these items in order to be considered for the admissions process.
Required Personal Essay (Motivation Letter)
The university places high emphasis on written communication skills. All students are expected to significantly improve their communication in English during the course of their studies at AGSB.
All students are therefore required to write a personal essay in order to determine the starting point for the improvement of their language skills in written English. If the student is accepted, this essay remains the first component in their portfolio.The essay or motivation letter should be at least 500 words in length. You should tell the story of your academic development and any other work experience you have had in a first person narrative. You should explain your reasons for applying and how you expect AGSB to further improve your present career goals.
Language Proficiency Requirements
The language of instruction at AGSB is English and a significant amount of English reading and writing is required from students, in order to achieve success in all courses. All students must demonstrate adequate language proficiency prior to their admission. In all cases, the university reserves the right to request a proficiency test.Proficiency will normally be recognized if students have completed any of the following conditions:
- Attendance for at least three recent full years of study in an institution where the sole language of instruction is English;
- Obtaining Standard level or higher, in the International Baccalaureate (IB);
- Obtaining the American or British Option Internationale du Baccalauréat (OIB) of the French Baccalauréat.
If none of these conditions apply, the student must write a pre‑admission English test. Proof of proficiency in English must be provided by achieving the appropriate score on one of the following:
- At least 550 score in a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). AGSB code is 9756;
- At least 6.0 score in an International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
Test results must be reported directly to AGSB Admissions by the test centre. Results that are more than two years old will not be accepted as proof of language proficiency.
- Accreditation Service for International Schools, Colleges & Universities - ASIC is an independent body specialising in the accreditation of schools, colleges, universities, training organisations and online and distance education providers worldwide. Amongst others, ASIC is recognised by UKVI in the UK, is a member of the CHEA International Quality Group in the USA, and are members of the British Quality Foundation. (http://asicuk.com/)
European Council for Business Education - ECBE, the European Council for Business Education, is an international not-for-profit educational organisation, registered in Brussels as an AISBL – Association Internationale Sans But Lucrative. It is committed to supporting academic and professional learning institutions in business and related fields. Through its accreditation processes, ECBE helps to ensure that accredited members satisfy the requirements of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) as set out in the Bologna Process and other EU directives. (http://www.ecbe.eu/index.php?id=2)
International Accreditation Council Business Education - The IACBE accredits business programs that lead to degrees at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels in institutions of higher education worldwide that grant bachelor’s and/or graduate degrees. The IACBE is nationally-recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). (http://www.iacbe.org/about-iacbe.asp)
Here at AGSB we have very diverse and unique program each year. We have certain traditions like annual marathons, welcome drinks, and ski trips. As well we visit main cultural events such as art shows or musical festivals. For an academic part, we have the large variety of industrial visits organized both by our professors and administrative staff. Companies like Nestle, Hublot, United Nations, and others are open for a visit for us on a yearly basis. It is a great experience, and we are very proud to be located within short distances from these big corporations.
- Computer lab
- Library & e-Lib
- Student lounge
- Printing facilities
- Social activities
- Small Classes – our aim is to keep classes small, not more than 15 students in the classroom so that every student can participate. We have a personal approach to every student, any issue or concern; we try to solve them on the spot. We make our clients feel special at all the time. We have straight contact with parents if there is anything serious happens.
- Business Environment – Most of our classrooms are designed in a way to implement corporate look and etiquette from the first day.
- Business Practitioners – Most of our faculty members have business on their side, so whatever happens out there in the World next day we implement it here at AGSB. Some have a very high position in the multinationals. All of the faculty members have a fantastic background.
- Multicultural & Multinational Environment – we have over 40 nationalities, this gives a great opportunity for our students to create their network and make real friends.
- Accredited – We have recently been accredited by ECBE http://www.ecbe.eu/ which is an independent European accreditation agency for universities. We have been just informed that we have been accredited by IACBE http://iacbe.org/, which is an American agency. AGSB is also an accredited member of Accreditation Service for International Schools, Colleges and Universities "ASIC" http://asicuk.com/ .
- Ideal, Safe & Beautiful – AGSB is located in a town on the northern shores of Lake Geneva in Switzerland.
- Internship Opportunities – For our master students, internships are in the part of the program. We have some Bachelor students that are working because they want better CV’s, better careers or earn some side money.
- Corporate Visits – Throughout the year we organize industrial and corporate visits. This is a great opportunity for our students to understand more about various industries and see what type of career they would like to have.
- Dual Degrees / Exchange Programs / Study Abroad Options – We offer some exchange and dual-degree programs with some of the top institutions worldwide.