Photos of university / #sserigasa
The Stockholm School of Economics in Riga, (SSE Riga or Latvian: Rīgas Ekonomikas augstskola) is a business school in Riga, Latvia. The school was founded in 1994 by the Stockholm School of Economics (SSE) with the support of the Swedish government, and the Latvian Ministry of Education on behalf of Latvia.
The mission of SSE Riga is to provide state-of-the-art education in economics and business that contributes to the economic and social development of the region, in particular the Baltic countries. This mission also includes research of relevance to the Baltic countries as well as active participation and promotion of public debate. Since 2010 SSE Riga is owned by a foundation established by the Stockholm School of Economics (SSE), the University of Latvia (LU) and the SSE Riga Alumni Association.
SSE Riga employs variety of teaching methods, including group work, summer internships and case studies, and has exchange programs with many leading business schools in Europe.
Department of Economics
Department of Business and Management
Department of Languages
The Stockholm School of Economics in Riga (SSE Riga) was founded in 1994 by the Stockholm School of Economics (SSE) with the support of the Swedish government, and the Latvian Ministry of Education on behalf of Latvia.
The mission of SSE Riga has been, since its inception in 1994, to provide a state-of-the-art education in business and economics that contributes to the economic and social development of the region, in particular Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. The mission also includes research, and SSE Riga should produce state-of-the-art research of relevance to the Baltic countries, and the School should actively participate and foster public debate in its fields of competence.
Since 2010 SSE Riga is owned by a foundation established by SSE, the University of Latvia and the SSE Riga Alumni Association. The operations of SSE Riga are governed by the Articles of Association of the SSE Riga Foundation, which have been agreed upon by all the founders, and one of the most important tasks of the new foundation is to raise funds for the School.
The SSE Riga main building is located at Strelnieku iela 4a. The Building is a remarkable structure and an architectural monument of national significance in the heart of Riga’s Jugendstil (Art Nouveau) district. The district is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
On July 11 1994, the first class of BSc. students was welcomed by the school’s first rector, Jan-Erik Vahlne. The renovation work on the school’s building at Strelnieku iela 4a was not completed, so the first months were spent at the University of Latvia, in the Faculty of Geography. On November 8, 1994 the school’s building on Strelnieku iela was inaugurated in the presence of HM King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden and HE President Guntis Ulmanis of Latvia.
The first class was comprised of 56 students, all of them from Latvia. The year after, there were students from all three Baltic countries and class size expanded to 100, and a few years later to 115. The BSc. programme started as a two-year programme with classes starting in early July and continuing virtually without any breaks. In 1998 the BSc. programme was expanded into a three year programme that today is in line with the European Union’s Bologna higher education framework.
Financial Times Ranking
According to the Financial Times Ranking of Top European Business School in 2015, SSE Riga as part of SSE group is the No. 1 business school in the Baltic/Nordic region.
The School is ranked together with its 'mother', the Stockholm School of Economics (SSE), and its 'sister', the Stockholm School of Economics in Russia (SSE Russia).
SSE's position in the Euro ranking in 2015 was 26th out of 85 European schools.
Cost of Living in Riga per month:
- Food: €120-250
- Local travel: €50
- Phone/internet: €15
- Gym membership: €41
- Hobby/leisure, miscellaneous: €100
SSE Riga Student Apartments
Students are encouraged to take advantage of the SSE Riga Student Residence Hall to facilitate their integration in the student community. We offer newly renovated accommodation that is safe and secure, where students can sleep and study in comfort.
SSE Riga can offer twin rooms with two residence units (two single beds), and triple rooms with three residence units (three single beds) are also available. Students can use a common room on each floor for studies, and there is wireless internet and kitchen facilities. The dormitories are situated about 20 minutes by bus from SSE Riga. The price ranges from 80 - 100 EUR per month.
15 reasons to choose SSE Riga
- High Financial Times ranking. For 21 years, SSE Riga has been educating students in the fields of economics and business. We believe that SSE Riga is one of the best places to study in Europe. SSE’s high position in the Financial Times ranking of Top European Business Schools proves it.
- Students from various countries. SSE Riga attracts the brightest minds, mainly from the Baltic countries. However, in recent years, we have had more students from Belarus, Moldova, Georgia, the Ukraine, and Russia. In addition - up to 45 international students each year join our community for an exchange semester.
- Marvelous professors. SSE Riga lecturers are well recognised experts in their chosen fields in the Baltics, Europe, and overseas. They are outstanding! For example, Morten Hansen (Denmark), Talis Putnins (Australia), Fionn Dobbin (Germany) – they know how to put theory into practice and make every single lecture the best.
- Various options for a financial aid. The SSE Riga Guaranteed Loan, with favorable conditions, is available for students to cover the tuition fee and/or living expenses. There are other options as well for financing your studies at SSE Riga, for example, SSE Riga merit-based grants.
- One of a kind building. The school building will become your “first home” for three years. We believe that we have one of the most beautiful school buildings in Latvia. The doors are open 24/7 for our students. In the feedback from students on the study process at SSE Riga, the building and the atmosphere created by the combination of old and new architecture are always mentioned a one of the most important factors when the study environment at the School is discussed.
- Down-to-earth education. Real-life experience is incorporated in the study process and in the programme content. Students get a good grip on business relations, meet start-up experts, and visit enterprises. You get it all - inspiring guest lectures by the founders of the trendy Mammu.lv, QooQoo.lv, and Zofa.lv; challenging seminars from Deloitte, KPMG, PricewaterhouseCoopers.
- Student opinion counts. We really want to hear what our students have to say! We try to keep close contact and maintain a friendly connection between students and administration, which is only possible in a small community such as SSE Riga.
- Foreign exchange semester. Each autumn 30-40 third year SSE Riga students leave for exchange for one semester. Undergraduates are encouraged to take this opportunity as it contributes heavily to personal development and ensures a wider professional perspective.
- No additional cost. Students from the Baltic countries pay tuition fee of EUR 3500 a year and that’s the only payment that you have to make – you get books from the Library for each course and there is the best selection of books available in the best Economics and Business Library in the Baltics. For example, all students have daily electronic access to the Financial Times newspaper, including the newspaper's archives and the financial data it provides.
- Best student life. Opportunities are plentiful at SSE Riga to develop yourself and your interests. A dozen organisations, clubs, and great annual events are organised by the students themselves. Days of Opportunities, PeakTime, Ifund, Debate Society, Global Entrepreneurship Week – just to name a few.
- Excellent employment record. The SSE Riga diploma is highly respected among employers. Majority of our graduates are employed within 2 months of graduation. Very often, students receive full-time job offers from their internship companies upon graduation.
- A solid platform for further education. Our Alumni are well prepared to continue their studies in the best universities worldwide. For example, our graduates have entered the prestigious Harvard Business School, INSEAD in France, and London Business School.
- ‘The sky’s the limit’ attitude. Going through SSE Riga is not only about learning economics and business; it is also about gaining the right attitude and the courage to do bold things. SSE Riga is about creating a personality! Among the SSE Riga graduates, there are pilots, travelers, marathoners and more.
- A supportive community. The fact that every third alumnus has participated in the SSE Riga Alumni donation campaign, making the SSE Riga alumni community the most active supporters of their Alma Mater in Europe, shows how highly they value SSE Riga. Belonging to such a strong community gives you real confidence for your future.
- Great networking opportunities.SSE Riga has over 2000 alumni worldwide who now serve in virtually every profession, and our graduates work in more than 50 countries around the globe! Wouldn't you like to join this network?