Photos of university / #uekatowice
University of Economics in Katowice was founded in 1937 and is the biggest and oldest business school in the region, one of the top universities in Poland. Each year over 13 000 Polish and international students follow our degree programmes at the Bachelor, Master, Doctoral and Post-diploma levels at our four faculties: Economics, Finance and Insurance, Informatics and Communication, and Management.
Our students and graduates mature in a thriving metropolis engage in the development of the region in the course of their professional lives: managing companies, organizing socioeconomics life, taking part in a wide range of business activities.
Our educational offer and lifelong learning programmes attract students from all over the world and from every generation. Due to the balance between academic strength and soft skills in our courses as well as professional career services the employability of our graduates is very high. We cherish relations with our local and international alumni engaging them in many activities on campus and in social media. We are proud to create today's managers for tomorrow's challenges.
Finance and Insurance
Informatics and Communication
- 3rd December 1936-formal establishment of the School of Social-Economic Sciences
- 11th January 1937-the beginning of teaching at the Faculty of Industrial Organization
- 1938/1939-the beginning of education at the Faculty of Public Administration (the first seat of the University during the years 1936-1946 were the rooms of the Silesian Technical Research Institutes)
- 1st September 1939-outbreak of war and occupation forces ceasing the functioning of the School
- 1945-resuming operation of the School; teaching at both Faculties
- 29th September 1946-inauguration of the academic year in the new seat (two own buildings: former town hall of the town commune of Zawodzie – present Vice-Chancellor’s Office and present “A” building)
- 1946-1948-starting, at the order of the Minister of Industry and Trade an annual Central Economic Control School
- 1948-establishing the Faculty of Trade
- 1949-nationalizing the School and changing the name into the National School of Economic Administration; Faculty of Public Administration put into liquidation
- 1950-transforming into the School of Economy and unification of curricula; ceasing teaching at the Faculty of Trade; top-down relocation of students to the established Faculty of Finance and Accounting (it was functioning until 1958); the name of the Faculty of Industrial Organization was changed into the Faculty of Industry Planning.
- 1952/1953-obtaining the right to confer the master’s degree on the alumni of the University
- 1958-1968-the University has one-faculty structure (the Faculty of Industry) which educates on the basis of full-time studies, evening studies, extramural studies and extension studies; a network of consultation points was created in Opole, Bielsko (1966 – Research-Teaching Centre in Bielsko), Częstochowa and Rybnik.
- 1960-the Faculty of Industry is granted the right to confer the title of the doctor
- 1968-establishing the Faculty of Trade and Nutrition Economics
- 1969-the Faculty of Trade is granted the right to confer the title of the Ph.D. hab. (in Polish: doktor habilitowany) in Economic Sciences
- 1972-giving the School of Economics the name of Karol Adamiecki, an outstanding engineer and economist, a scientist and activist, Polish co-creator of science of organization and management
- 1974-changing the name of the School of Economics to Academy of Economics; transforming the Faculty of Trade and Nutrition Economics into the Faculty of Trade, Transport and Services
- 1979-the Faculty of Trade, Transport and Services is granted the right to confer the title of Doctor of Economy.
- 1970s and 80-sconstructing the complex of new buildings creating an academic centre (buildings: B, D, E, C, F)
- 1991-the Faculty of Trade, Transport and Services is granted the right to confer the title of Ph.D. hab. (in Polish: doktor habilitowany) in Economic Sciences
- 1992-the Faculty of Management is set up in place of the of the Faculty of Industry, and in place of the Faculty of Trade, Transport and Services the Faculty of Economy is set up
- 11th October 1994-purchasing the building at ul. Pułaskiego 25 – “P” building (23rd November 1999 – purchase of undeveloped plots); official opening of the building – December 1999
- October 1998-Palace-Park Complex in Młoszowa is given to the Karol Adamiecki Academy of Economics in Katowice
- 2002-setting up the Faculty of Finance and Insurance; starting teaching in Rybnik Research-Teaching Centre
- 26th August 2005-the State Treasury gives the Karol Adamiecki Academy of Economics in Katowice the building at ul. ks. bpa St. Adamskiego 7 - "N" building (October 2005 – first classes in the building)
- 2009-establishing the Faculty of Information Technology and Communication
- 2010-the Faculty of Information Technology and Communication is granted the right to confer the degree of PhD
- 1st October 2010-on the basis of the Act as of 5th August 2010 the Academy is given the name of the “University of Economics in Katowice”.
Full state accreditation in education.
Dormitory Ligota: It is situated about 20 minutes by bus (very good public transport connections) from the main University buildings. Ligota is a district of Katowice with its own centre and railway station. The dormitory is located in a big student residential area consisting of dormitories of almost all higher education institutions in Katowice. The standard of the rooms is typical of a dormitory. Every room is equipped with basic items of furniture.
Bedclothes are provided and laundered regularly free of charge but you need to bring your own towels. There are two rooms within one accommodation segment, with a shared bathroom. A few common kitchens are located on each floor. Internet access is available for free in each room (requirements: standard ethernet card; twisted pair cable). The gym is free for the residents and the TV room is equipped with a cable TV. Student night life is surely flourishing in Ligota
Sport facilities: Sport is an important aspect of student life. The University of Economics in Katowice offers a wide range of sports services for students and staff. At the University you can find swimming poll, sauna, gyms and fitness centre. You can participate in diverse sports (AZS sections):
- Table tennis
- Mountain sports
Gym, sauna and swimming pool is located in Building C, second gym and fitness centre is located in Building A. Both Buildings are in the main University Campus.
Maybe you like singing, dancing or playing the instruments? At the University you can choose the University Choir or "Silesianie" Song and Dance Ensemble . Join us and have fun!
Canteen: Canteen is located in Building F on the first floor (ul. Bogucicka 14). Canteen has 100 seats and is open from Monday to Sunday from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm during academic year.
- Soup (3,00 zł)
- Main dish (8,00 zł)
- Hot and cold drinks Cappuccino, chocolate, nescafe 3in1 (2,00 zł)
- Tea (2,00 zł)
- Mineral water 0,5 l (2,00 zł)
- Instant coffee (3,00 zł)
- Juice: orange, apple, blackcurrant 0,3 l (2,50 zł)
- Juice cappy 0,2 l (2,50 zł)
- Pepsi-cola 0,5 l (3,20 zł)
- Coca-cola 0,5 l (3,20 zł)
Rybnik Campus: Rybnik Research and Education Centre was established in October 2002. Together with the Silesian University of Technology and University of Silesia, it has formed the University Complex located in the old municipal hospital premises. The University of Economics modernized building is the biggest and has the most interesting design, with an area of 3,000 square metres. The University of Economics building is fully accessible to the disabled and meets the strictest criteria in this respect, having cutting-edge conveniences and facilities for the mobility impaired. The staff and students can use a modern auditorium, which can seat 150 people, library access and computer rooms.
Public transport: Our university is located near the city center, it is possible to reach it either by buses, trams and trains.
Station: Ligota Panewnicka
Direction: Katowice Dworzec PKP
9, 12, 13, 37, 46, 48, 657, 812, 905N, 912
Station: Ligota Panewnicka
Directon: Ligota Akademiki
12, 51, 154, 292, 657N, 905N, 912
N - night bus
Station: Katowice Dworzec PKP
Direction: Zawodzie Uniwersytet Ekonomiczny
7, 11, 13, 15, 20
Station: Katowice Rynek (Teatr Śl.)
Direction: Zawodzie Uniwersytet Ekonomiczny
6, 7, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 20
Near the university you can find train station: Katowice Zawodzie.
Buildings: Enhancing the quality of university's infrastructure is one of our priorities. There are 184 didactic rooms, including modern multimedia classrooms and computer labs at our campus. The biggest of the four auditoriums: MAIOR Auditorium (Aula MAIOR) can seat 400 people. Our sport facilities include an indoor swimming pool, 2 gyms and a sauna. The buildings at the campus are adjusted to the needs of disabled students and staff.
- Building A: houses the Printing Workshop, University Bookshop (Skrypciarnia), IT Centre and small gym. The high-tech, air conditioned MAIOR Auditorium (Aula MAIOR) can seat 400 people. It is situated at Bogucicka street no. 3.
- Building B: houses a modernly equipped, air-conditioned Auditorium B (Aula B) seating 289, and also the Pawłowski Auditorium, where doctoral defences take place. The Careers Centre is also located here, so are the "Silesianie" Student Dance and Song Ensemble and the PANEUROPA Student Organization. Building B is connected with A and C. It is situated at Bogucicka street no. 3a.
- Building C: houses a modernly equipped, air-conditioned Auditorium B (Aula B) seating 289, and also the Pawłowski Auditorium, where doctoral defences take place. The Careers Centre is also located here, so are the "Silesianie" Student Dance and Song Ensemble and the PANEUROPA Student Organization. Building B is connected with A and C. It is situated at Bogucicka street no. 3a.
- Building D: has lifts and a disabled access. It houses most departments of the university. On the ground floor there are the AMICUS Staff Club and a cash dispenser operated by Bank Śląski. It is located at Bogucicka street no. 14.
- Building E & L: houses a few departments, “PRogress” – Public Relations Students Organization and Promotion and New Media Bureau. The buildings have classrooms and multimedia-equipped Auditoriums. They are located at 1 Maja street no. 47.
- Building F: the three-storey building accommodates the ARKADA Students Club. The first floor houses a 200-seat student canteen and a 40-seat banquet hall.
Student organizations are located on the top floor:
- Students Parliament
- Independent Students Association
It is located at Bogucicka street no. 14a.
- Building N: houses the Inter-Faculty Languages Instruction and Promotion and the attached Silesian Business Languages School, a modernly equipped classrooms. Among others here houses Rector's Officess, Chancellors Offices, International Relations Office. It is situated at Adamskiego street no. 7.
- Building P: houses College of Management, the Doctoral School and the European Research and Studies Centre. The multi-media equipped Auditorium P is located in this building. It is situated at Pułaskiego street no. 25.
- CINiBA: is a joint project of the University of Silesia and the University of Economics in Katowice. The goal of the project is the construction and opening of a modern scientific library which will meet 21st century standards in terms of rendering available the information necessary for executing programs of studies at both these universities, improving the quality of teaching via increasing the research potential, improving the availability of scientific literature in the region, as well as increasing the role of the University of Silesia and the University of Economics in international scientific relations.
- CNTI: Advanced Information Technology Center:
- smart building,
- investment of over 50 million PLN,
- modern learning environment,
- economic and managerial services for business,
- conference facilities,
- environment-friendly building management solutions.
Bureau of Education
The Unit comprises of few sections:
- Teaching Organisation
- Coordinator for Financial Support for Undergraduate, Graduate and PhD Students
- Teaching Quality and Accreditation
- National Educational Projects
The Department's activities include:
- Monitoring the quality of teaching, collaborating with academic and teaching units towards quality assurance and evaluation,
- Advising future students of the educational offer,
- Cooperation with student organizations and student learning associations,
- Advising students of the financial support possibilities
The main task of the Careers Centre of the University of Economics in Katowice is to promote our students and alumni at the labour market, develop cooperation between University and business environment, and create firm alumni relations. Careers Centre offers job services and consultancy. Moreover, they organize work placements, provide job offers, build a data base of enterprises, prepare workshops and trainings.
The offer of Careers Center is addressed to Polish speaking:
- labour market institutions
Inter-Faculty Centre for Foreign Languages
Inter-Faculty Centre for Foreign Languages was established in 1998. The Centre teaches English, French, Spanish, German, Russian and Italian. Students are grouped according to their proficiency levels:
- lower intermediate
- upper intermediate
The Centre’s objectives are:
- to prepare the students for functioning in the united Europe by teaching them languages (English, French, Spanish, German, Russian, Italian), as well as instructing them in the economies, politics, culture, legislation and customs of the target language-speaking countries;
- to equip the students, who will be working in trade, industry and services (e. g. banking, insurance, social services), with high-level competence in at least two foreign languages;
- to assure the employers that the language qualifications obtained at the Inter-Faculty Centre for Foreign Languages Instruction and Promotion are a synonym of professionalism and competence;
- to familiarize the students with economic, political and cultural issues in the countries of the languages taught, with special emphasis put on the EU member states.
Students can use computers in the IT Centre in Building A. Additionaly, there are computer rooms in Builing P, Building A, Builing D and student dormitories in Ligota. There is also a possibility to conect your phone or laptop to the University WIFI network (in this case you have to contact IT Centre).
Promotion and New Media Bureau
The most important tasks of this unit include:
- monitoring of the Polish and international education market
- preparation of the University’s Polish and English website content
- promoting the University on the national and international level
University of Economics in Katowice was founded in 1937 and is the biggest and oldest business school in the region, one of the top universities in Poland. Each year, over 13,000 Polish and international students follow our degree programmes at the Bachelor, Master, Doctoral and Post-diploma levels. University’s excellence is confirmed by full state accreditation in education as well as by top ranks of the faculties within the national assessment system of research institutions. According to yearly rankings related to graduates' careers, the University is one of the most successful Polish HEI's.
Drawing on its long history and traditions, our university continues to grow and evolve implementing new ideas and diversification in its study offer as well as participating in various research and didactic projects. Within EU funded projects we are able to offer to our students unique and innovative courses as well as internships in major enterprises in the region and abroad. Moreover, the University is expanding its infrastructure with modern facilities like Center for New Information Technologies or Scientific Information Centre and Academic Library.